Anotherchris is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Combo Box populates all records with current selection

I have a combo box that is used to select an interest rate (tax rate) based on a table that is just the interest rate and the primary key. If it is unbound it changes all the records to the current selection and if I bind it to the tax rate it chooses the primary key and not the tax rate. eg. 12% is the second selection so it changes the value to 2 from 12%. I can't figure out what triggers it to change to the primary key from the tax rate. They are two distinct choices on the table and the query that the form is based on. Any help greatly appreciated

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    It sounds like you are in a continuous form.

The best approach provided for the new designer by Microsoft is to go back to the table that is the record source for this form - - and redefine this field to be a "lookup" field....it will launch a wizard to help you though it.

Before you do that - you might want to modify your tax table to eliminate that key field - in a static list like this it really isn't needed....

just fyi; the lookup wizard is going to default to "bind" the key field - - and isn't really what you want....so if there is no key field it will default to the tax value and insert that actual value into the field when you select it in the form.

the best analogy to this is the common 2 letter state list (if you are American) - one really doesn't need a key field - - it is a great example of a useful way to use the lookup feature in a table field property...and I think your situation is very similar....

hope this helps.

Anotherchris is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Thanks I will give this a try. I just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 and may just be the most frustrated person on the planet. I have 3 identical combo boxes on this form that have been running without incident for 6 years. I am making headway with issues in Xcel and Word but Access has defeated me. I will let you know how it works out.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    ah - well you did not mention that this involved an upgrade from 03. I'm not sure that it changes the advice, but I can appreciate the frustration. The UI and other changes that occurred in 07 were very disrupting for alot of people.

also there often are functions that just do not seem to work after an upgrade for reasons unclear; I recently moved a classic, long working .mdb file to an 07 machine and for whatever reason 1 single command button did not work any longer.......but these type things almost always can be fixed simply with a rebuild/replace of that function.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.