Girraffa is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Replace nulls in report with placeholder string to indicate no data

Hello folks!
    I am struggling my way though creating some reports. They were created by saving forms as reports since they are not grouped/aggregated like many reports are. An example recordsource is below. Most of the fields are short or long text fields and they are not always filled out by the user, which is fine as not all fields are always applicable. I have the controls set to "can grow" and "can shrink" since the amount of text in them varies widely. However due to this when the control is null that text box disappears and the report's formatting gets jumbled. When the report is opened I would like the null text boxes to display " --" to indicate that no data was entered there, rather than the viewer wondering whether something is missing. (I've tried doing this in the format property of the control and/or of the table field but have discovered that causes truncation of text over 255 characters for long text fields.) Through many searches and code attempts I have arrived at the solution of doing something in the report's "on load" event such that it checks if a control value is null and puts something there if it is, however I am having trouble doing this. I am thinking I should use a Nz () or IIF () function (?)

So far I'm thinking something like this but it doesn't work and I wouldn't know how to efficiently string together a statement for multiple controls:

Private Sub Report_Load()
    Dim Nills As String
    Nills = Nz(Me.txtPulseQual, " --")
    End Sub

Not sure if I'm on the right track. Any help appreciated!!!

Recordsource example:
    SELECT ExamTable.ExamDate, ExamTable.CauseforExam, ExamTable.[Animal/GroupAge], ExamTable.Weight, ExamTable.WeightUnits, ExamTable.BodyTemp, ExamTable.TempUnits, ExamTable.RespRate, ExamTable.HeartRate, ExamTable.PulseQuality, ExamTable.CapillaryRefillTime, ExamTable.VitalsNotes, ExamTable.HistoryCheck, ExamTable.AppearanceGait, ExamTable.HEENM, ExamTable.Samples, ExamTable.DiseaseSigns, ExamTable.AnimalIDFK, ExamTable.ExamAutoID, ExamTable.ImpressionDiagnosis, ExamTable.TreatmentPlan, ExamTable.ReevaluationPlan, AnimalTable.FacilityAnimalID, AnimalTable.Species, AnimalTable.CommonName, AnimalTable.Sex
    FROM AnimalTable INNER JOIN ExamTable ON AnimalTable.AnimalAutoID = ExamTable.AnimalIDFK;

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hi Girraffa,

Would something like this work (assumes your controls that are shrinking are text boxes):
    Code:
    Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)Dim ctrl As Control

For Each ctrl In Me.Controls
        If ctrl.ControlType = acTextBox Then
           ctrl.Value = Nz(ctrl.Value, "---")
        End If
    Next ctrl

Set ctrl = Nothing

End Sub
    Cheers,
    Vlad

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    doesnt the fact that there is no data in the cell indicate there's no data?

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have the controls set to "can grow" and "can shrink"
    What about setting "Can Shrink" to No?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Vlad,
    I tried that but it gets stuck on
    ctrl.Vaue = Nz(ctrl.Value, "---")
    with error: 2424
    "the expression you entered has a field, control, or property name that Microsoft Access can't find."
    Any ideas?
    thank you!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes the absence of data implies no data, but for display sake and end users who are not familiar with database inner-workings I would like to be explicit about that. If I set "can shrink" to no I will end up with big empty areas in the report. I suppose I could just make the controls disappear when the values are null but ideally I would be able to insert some placeholder text--this feels like something that should be possible

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe going out on a limb but want to say that using VBA to set Value property of textbox in report won't work. Ever. At All. Period.

I avoid long text (memo) type field because of their quirks.

Does this work in ControlSource:

=IIf(IsNull([fieldname]), "--", [fieldname])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    June,
    It sure does!! Thank you! yes I am learning more and more about the quirks of the long text fields, oi. Good to know about VBA. My next idea was to make text boxes that only appeared when those fields were null and put what I wanted in those...this is much easier. Thanks again!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Let me qualify my earlier statement. VBA cannot directly set Value property in report. However, the ControlSource can call a VBA UDF (user defined function).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.