catat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Counting Active Records Between 2 Dates

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a report that will calculate the number of children served within a period of two dates (a quarter). The issue I am having is that within the Children table, there is no date field, so I am not sure how to determine which children were "Active" during this period.

I have tried taking information from three different tables. All three tables are connected through the FuID (Family Unit ID).
    The first is the Family Unit table which consists of FuID , FamName , Active (Yes/No).
    The second is the Case Status table which consists of CsID, FuID, Status (Waitlist, Active, Closed, etc.), and StatusEffective (date).
    The third is the Children table which consists of ChID , FuID, LastName, FirstName, DOB, and Active (Yes/No).
    The first two tables are not really necessary for the report, but I tried using the StatusEffectiveDate from the Case Status to get the Between dates, but this only pulls children that have had their Case Status updated within that time frame.

Ultimately, I would like the query to pull .... What children were checked off as Active between Date 1 and Date 2, regardless if they became inactive between these dates. Is this possible without a date stamp in the table?

For my first database, everything had seemed to be set up correctly (thanks to you guys) until this problem!

Thanks in advance!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Tables dont have a "hidden" datestamp on record creation or modification so unless there are dates to work with, there really isnt anything you can do... at least not that I know of. Unless Microsoft came out with a GoBackInTime() function, I think you're stuck.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Oh man, a GoBackInTime() function would be AWESOME!

You should write one Shabz!

catat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Ha! Yes, that would be awesome...

So... is there anything I can do now to pull this information in the future?! Meaning is there something I should add to the Children table?...

Thanks for replying anyways..

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I would just add a (Short) Date field to it with a Default Value of =Date().

Just be sure to set this field to the day before your last quarter started on all of your pre-existing Records so they don't show up in any of your queries erroneously.

catat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I managed to figure it out by using a date from a fourth table.. It works perfectly so far.

The parameter was set for,,
    [Start Date (dd/mm/yyyy)]
    [End Date (dd/mm/yyyy)]

The criteria within the query was..

Case Status StatusEffectiveDate ServiceStartDate
    Criteria: "Active" <=[End Date (dd/mm/yyyy)]
    Or: "Closed" <=[End Date (dd/mm/yyyy)] Or >=[Start Date (dd/mm/yyyy)]

Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.