shod90 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Connect Access database to Attendance Machine ( Biometric Device)

Hi, I have an Attendance Machine Installed having Fingerprint Function, The Software came with this attendance machine, backend is based in Ms-Access, I want to make some reports according to my requirement, The issue is that i want to connect the machine and retrieve data through My Ms-Access software, Please help me with the code to make a connection so that i can work separately without using the software that came with Attendance machine, I want to retrieve data directly through Ms-Access. Please review the attached database, There is a table named as Machine which contain configurations for the connection of machine like IP Address, Band rate, Connection String, Port etc, I dont know how to connect the machine directly with Ms-Access for retrieving Employees attendance logs, Please help me in making an interface and connection with ms-access. Waiting & thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    IF the machine shows as a drive, then you can join the tables in the remote db to your db. Best since it gives you live data.

if not, (the least desirable)
    then you need some communication connection to download the db, to a target db somewhere that is already connected to yours.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You have a value of 1 for the connect type in your data, find out what this means. Refer to the manual

If it mean IP address then it is a networked device. I don't see any reference in your data to wireless so there should be a cat5+ cable going from the device to a router or patch panel of some sort. Open windows explorer and type in the ip address 192.168.1.142 - if it finds it should take you to a page in your browser so you can view and change settings.

If this is successful, whilst in explorer click on the network option and in the ribbon, select add devices and printers - follow the prompts. You will probably need to install a driver from a disk or download.

If it is a serial device, then you will also have a serial cable running to your (or someone's) computer. In which case google 'vba how to connect to serial port'. I've completely forgotten how.

That as far as I can take you, you need to refer to the manufacturers manual or go to their website and see if there is a forum or someone you can ask. Often any code provided will be C# but is generally easily translatable to vba. I don't see a connection string in your data so no idea how the data is stored. My guess would be a .csv, .txt or .xml file but you need to determine how the data is stored and how it can be retrieved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.