hellocng is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Orders to Be Automatically Grouped Based on Order Date

Hi, this is my first time on this forum and am unsure where to post this question to.

I have a form where the user enters the order information. If the orders are submitted within 24-hours from the first order, they are shipped together.

I would like the user to enter the orders, and based on the time of the order, determine which orders are shipped together.

For example, order A was at 10/1/17 12:00 PM; order B was at 10/1/17 4:00 PM, order C was at 10/2/17 2:00 AM; order D was at 10/2/17 2:00PM.

Order A, B, C would be shipped together; let's have a field called shipmentID, and it is shipment A. Order D will be filled in the next shipment, shipment B.

The shipmentID can be in any form - autonumber, etc , as long as I can tell that they are together. How would I do this?

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    put this code into a module, or button OnClick event:

the code below uses a query qsItems2Ship of all available orders where [ShipBlock] = null
    'then cycles thru the query, getting one 24 time block at a time, filling in the ShipBlock

Code:
    Public Sub MakeShipBlocks()
    Dim vStartDate, vEndDate
    Dim lBlock As Long, lCnt As Long
    Dim sSql As String
    Const kQRY = "qsItems2Ship"    'this query gets all orders to ship in date order, with null SHIPBLOCK

docmd.Setwarnings = false
    lBlock = 1
    bMore = True
    vStartDate = DMin("[OrderDate]", kQRY)                       'get the 1st Timestamp of the orders
    vEndDate = DateAdd("s", -1, DateAdd("h", 24, vStartDate))    'get the end time of the 1st block
    lCnt = DCount("*", kQRY)

While lCnt > 0
        sSql = "UPDATE tOrders SET tOrders.ShipBlock = " & lBlock & " WHERE (((tOrders.OrderDate) Between #" & vStartDate & "# And #" & vEndDate & "#) AND ((tOrders.ShipBlock) Is Null));"
        DoCmd.RunSQL sSql

lBlock = lBlock + 1
        vStartDate = DateAdd("s", 1, vEndDate)  'get next 24hr time block
        vEndDate = DateAdd("s", -1, DateAdd("h", 24, vStartDate))  
        lCnt = DCount("*", kQRY)
    Wend

MsgBox "Done"
    End Sub

hellocng is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you for the help!

I forgot to mention in the original question, the orders are shipped together as long as the customerID is the same. So if orders A, B, C, and D are not for same customer, there needs to be separate shipblock. I can't figure out how to use a query to separate the customers. Also, once the shipblocks are set for all orders, can I use this code with a button to enter new orders and auto-assign the shipblock?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.