Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Are you saying that there are categories of tests, such that "attention" would have a given list of tests, "memory" would have another set of tests? Sure. The VBA that I gave you earlier would first make the test/subforms invisible, then make just the one that was selected visible.

On the original form I created, I have put command buttons to show you how they would work, instead of using a combobox.
    Attached Files Attached Files

neuropsychresearch is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    ok. but what do you think of my idea to use tabs with these command buttons? doable?

Did you miss my post? Sure, whatever you think would make this form the simplest and cleanest to use. As you say, you have a huge amount of info.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    i saw the post. I just wasn't sure of the actual clicks needed to implement it! thanks for all your help. TTYL! night
    steve

See if you can do it yourself first by copying what I have provided. That way you will understand it better. I'll expect great things!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    See if you can do it yourself first by copying what I have provided. That way you will understand it better. I'll expect great things!
    Ok, I"ve been adding the real fields, and the db is quite big now in terms of the fields. I will come back to the visual basic question.

For now - I am struggling with a very simple formatting problem - open the attached db. Click on Mental Stat tab then click on Effort tab. See how MenStat is always left justified and doesn't require those little vertical click bars to be clicked to get it to appear? I have spent over 10 hours tinkering with the design, and I cannot get this to happen with other tabs, such as with Effort.

I'm sure you can figure this out - but can you tell me the precise keystrokes to get the damn vertical click bars to not appear? I would like it to be that when a person clicks on a given neuropsych domain such as effort or mental status or memory, that the nested form is always 'correct.' I hate having to go to the left of the little box and click on it so that the whole sub sub form appears. This is difficult to verbalize but easy to see. Click on Effort then MenStatus and see how it adjusts a little. I can't figure this dumb thing out!
    thanks
    Steve
    simple db hallelujah fresh start best v9 try resize.zip

I think you left out a few steps. Open database, then what?

I may have mentioned a few times - to get rid of the bars set the record selectors property of the form to no.

I can't see actually what your issues are. But things are looking good, lots of fields here!

And while you're there, get rid of the navigation buttons as well, you don't need previous and next so many times on one form. Also the ID fields, they are of no use to users. The less clutter the better.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    And while you're there, get rid of the navigation buttons as well, you don't need previous and next so many times on one form. Also the ID fields, they are of no use to users. The less clutter the better.
    1) Ok, a few things. I'll try the record selectors, but they have no effect on getting rid of the little vertical click bars inside the tab boxes.

2) Try this: click on the Effort tab, then click on the Men Status tab. Do you see how, regardless of which screen for mental status you pick, the little pane for the MMSE, 3MS, etc - do you see how the little window or pane does'nt 'move'?

However, click on Effort tab. Click on WMT -notice how the little vertical bar appears. This is very irritating because it impedes smooth data entry. Click on the other effort tests - TOMM, etc. Notice how the little input pane jumps around and forces the user who is doing the input to click on the vertical bar in order to resume data entry?

3) I will get rid of the navigation buttons, no problem. I know how to do that already. BUT I definitely would like your input on how to ADD an Exam for A GIVEN Client. As of now, the button I have to ADD RECORD is embedded in the Demo master form. But we do re-evals all the time and I definitely need a way to ADD EXAM for a given client.

Is this possible?

4) This last one is subtler. Try this: ADD RECORD. This will create a new record. However, notice how I have a "Use?" field that is inside each specific domain. As of now, if I don't click this yes/no box, then I can't automatically pass the ID from the specific test to Demo and Exam. Does this make sense? My clumsy workaround right now is this yes/no box. Let me know if I am being clear here. Ultimately, I am going to use your AfterUPdate idea so that the specific fields for a given domain are invisible UNTIL that little box is clicked. THEN the test's fields will appear via AfterUpdate. This is involved. Let me know if this makes sense.

THanks
    Steve

Windows 10 Access 2016
    ok, I monkeyed around with the record selectors. I see how one can eliminate them. But they are not the problem I am facing. I think I just need some input on how to edit the subform in design view, so that the record bars don't appear in the first place.

I toyed around with the subform design and simply cannot figure out how to get so that once a tab is clicked, the record indicators don't need to appear.

Try this: click on Mem (Memory) tab. See how the WMSIV fields jump? See how the Other memory tests disappear because the WMSIV subform is set up goofy?

What I am trying to ask is, how can I arrange the fields in a test subform so that once a given test tab is clicked, the inside view of the fields stay 'properly arranged' to enable easy data entry?

Compare clicking on the WMSIV with clicking on Menstatus. see how EVERY Mental Status exam is easy to enter data for, whereas the Memory tests require clicking on the record indicator bars? Simply getting rid of the record indicator bars does nothing for this problem. .. I know I'm being wordy, I'm just trying to be clear. It's hard to explain with words...

Late at night here and just came to check, so no long answers. The jumping around is due to the tab order. First, always set the subform object to tab stop = No. Then inside each subform make sure that the first field on the top left it the first in the tab order for the form.

Your number 3 above is something I mentioned before. What do you want to happen? It will no doubt be much like the Add button.

Don't understand your number 4 - why do you need to "automatically pass the ID from the specific test to Demo and Exam"? They won't be carrying the tests' IDs, it is the other way around.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hm. I am having trouble making the tabs to be invisible until clicked.. I'll send what I've got if you can look at it. I've been looking at the visual basic.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    hey i may have missed a private message from you. How do i respond? Did you ask about skype? that would be really helpful

Post your database.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.