Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

So are you saying the query isn't working on the overflow field because of the empty values?
    Can't say. I didn't download your attachments since 9 times out of 10 I can't open or work with 2016 db's thus I'm not sure what stage you're at (trying to fix cascading combos or a final query based on their values). I don't think <> or Not In works with Null as Null basically means "value unknown". Therefore you cannot compare it to anything else and I suspect you can't 'not' select it since it really doesn't exist. I take it from your post 13 that "doesn't work" is a result of this, although as my signature states, "doesn't work" doesn't usually help us. Is Not Null (queries) or Not IsNull() (vb) is how you deal with Null.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    See if this is workable.

Create and save a UNION query:
    SELECT allocated_bin_1 AS AllocatedBin FROM tblProduct
    UNION SELECT allocated_bin_2 FROM tblProduct;

Code behind frmProduct:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Current()
    Me.cbxBin2.Visible = Not IsNull(Me.cbxBin1)
    Me.cbxBin1.Requery
    Me.cbxBin2.Requery
    End Sub

Private Sub cbxBin1_GotFocus()If Me.NewRecord Then
        Me.cbxBin1.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
        "FROM tblBinType RIGHT JOIN (tblBin LEFT JOIN (AllocatedUNION RIGHT JOIN tblAllocatedBin ON " & _
        "AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id) ON tblBin.bin_id = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin) ON " & _
        "tblBinType.bin_type_id = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_type " & _
        "WHERE AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin Is Null " & _
        "ORDER BY tblBinType.bin_type, tblBinType.priority;"
        Me.cbxBin2.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
        "FROM tblBinType RIGHT JOIN (tblBin LEFT JOIN (AllocatedUNION RIGHT JOIN tblAllocatedBin ON " & _
        "AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id) ON tblBin.bin_id = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin) ON " & _
    Else
        Me.cbxBin1.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
        "WHERE (((AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin)=[Forms]![frmProduct]![allocated_bin_1] Or (AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin) Is Null)) " & _

Me.cbxBin2.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
        "WHERE (((AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin)=[Forms]![frmProduct]![allocated_bin_2] Or (AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin) Is Null)) " & _
    End If
    Me.cbxBin1.Requery
    Me.cbxBin2.Requery
    End Sub

Private Sub cbxBin1_GotFocus()
    Me.cbxBin1.Dropdown
    End Sub

Private Sub cbxBin1_AfterUpdate()
    End Sub

Private Sub cbxBin2_GotFocus()
    Me.cbxBin2.Dropdown 'this one isn't working and the dropdown click is acting odd and I don't know why
    End Sub
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

anthgav is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I renamed my combo boxes and union query to match your code and now I'm getting a syntax error...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Query.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	30558

Name:	Query 2.PNG 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	30559

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note I tried filtering out the allocated bins from 'allocated_bin_1' and 'allocated_bin_2' in a saved query.
    I created this sql first to show which bins are allocated...
    Code:
    SELECT tblProduct.allocated_bin_1 AS [allocated_bin_to_product]
    FROM (tblBin RIGHT JOIN (tblBinType RIGHT JOIN tblAllocatedBin ON tblBinType.[bin_type_id] = tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin_type]) ON tblBin.[bin_id] = tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin]) RIGHT JOIN tblProduct ON tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin_id] = tblProduct.[allocated_bin_1]
    UNION ALL
    SELECT tblProduct.allocated_bin_2  AS [allocated_bin_to_product]
    FROM tblProduct LEFT JOIN (tblBin RIGHT JOIN (tblBinType RIGHT JOIN tblAllocatedBin ON tblBinType.[bin_type_id] = tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin_type]) ON tblBin.[bin_id] = tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin]) ON tblProduct.allocated_bin_2 = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id
    WHERE (((tblProduct.allocated_bin_2)<>0));
    Then I merged the previous sql into this query to show what bins are available...
    Code:
    SELECT tblProduct.allocated_bin_1 AS [allocated_bin_to_product]
    FROM (tblBin RIGHT JOIN (tblBinType RIGHT JOIN tblAllocatedBin ON tblBinType.[bin_type_id] = tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin_type]) ON tblBin.[bin_id] = tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin]) RIGHT JOIN tblProduct ON tblAllocatedBin.[allocated_bin_id] = tblProduct.[allocated_bin_1]
    UNION ALL
    SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type, tblBinType.priority
    FROM tblBinType RIGHT JOIN (tblBin RIGHT JOIN (tblAllocatedBin LEFT JOIN qryAllocatedBinsToProduct ON tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id = qryAllocatedBinsToProduct.allocated_bin_to_product) ON tblBin.bin_id = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin) ON tblBinType.bin_type_id = tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_type
    WHERE (((tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id) Not In ([qryAllocatedBinsToProduct].[allocated_bin_to_product])));
    When I use the final query in my combo box I can finally produce the desired result I've been looking for to only show the bins available, but now I've hit another snag. I can only get the allocated_bin_id to show up in the combobox selected text field and not the bin name.
    The combobox drop down list show 'ID, Bin, Bin Type, Priority' all in that order. My column count is 4 and the widths are '0cm;3cm;3cm;3cm' yet the collapsed box is blank even though a bin is allocated to that product. When the widths are set to '3cm;3cm;3cm;3cm' the ID shows in the box ok. The allocated_bin_id is the value stored in the control source of the combo box and the bin name is stored in another table. This issue has arose since I've used a pre-built query and not attaching the combobox directly to the tables. Any idea why this is?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Re: the syntax error: This Private Sub cbxBin1_GotFocus()If Me.NewRecord This
    Private Sub cbxBin1_GotFocus()If Me.NewRecord Then
    is really 2 lines; probably was a cut & paste error -
    If Me.NewRecord Then

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm now getting this error with the code...

Views:	13 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	30560

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've decided I want to try and solve this without using VB code and I'm close. As I've mentioned in my earlier post I have created queries that filter the bins to only show what doesn't have products in. I have called the query from my combobox with this code...
    Code:
    SELECT qryAvailableBinsForProduct.allocated_bin_id, qryAvailableBinsForProduct.bin, qryAvailableBinsForProduct.bin_type
    FROM qryAvailableBinsForProduct
    ORDER BY qryAvailableBinsForProduct.bin;
    As you can see from the images my column count and width are set and the combobox shows the expected result.

Name:	Query 2.PNG 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	30562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Query 3.PNG 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	30563

Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	30561

As the combobox shows the ID, I change the width of the 1st column to 0 so it displays the BIN number but I get a blank value instead, this is the bit that has me stumped, why isn't it behaving as I expect? Does it have anything to do with using a pre-built query on the combobox?

Name:	Query 4.PNG 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	30564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Query 5.PNG 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	30565

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, it does. Combobox RowSource is a lookup with alias. The combobox list excludes items already used. This means the alias value is not available for display. Hence the VBA code to conditionally set the RowSource.

And that was a cut/paste error as Micron explained. Second one this week. I really need to double check. Line that errors needs to be two lines.
    Code:
      If Me.NewRecord Then
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I corrected that line but then I got this error.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthgav View Post
    I'm now getting this error with the code...

Views:	13 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	30560

June7 is offline VIP
    Ambiguous name means there are two procedures with the same name of cbxBin1_GotFocus. If you did copy/paste of my code, you probably already had this event and my code also has the event. Delete one of them.

When you do VBA edits, need to run Debug>Compile. Also, periodically Compact & Repair.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Your code is now up and running and everything works as expected. I've now hit a snag.
    In the queries there are some ORDER BY statements...

Code:
    I need the fields to be ordered like this instead...

Code:
    "ORDER BY tblBin.bin, tblBinType.priority;"
    tblBin.bin is the field that shows as the bound value to the combobox so when I change the ORDER BY to tblBin.bin the combobox field is now blank, so I'm back to square one again, how can I get around this?

June7 is offline VIP
    I am confused. The comboboxes BoundColumn is 1 and the field is tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id. ORDER BY any field in the query. I adjusted to order by tblBin.bin and works just fine.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    In your original code you repeated 'Private Sub cbxBin1_GotFocus()' twice causing an error. In the 2nd one you had...

Code:
    Me.cbxBin1.Dropdown
    End Sub
    I assume I need to move...

Code:
    Me.cbxBin1.Dropdown
    into the first GotFocus, where abouts should I put it in the code below?

Code:
    Private Sub cbxBin1_GotFocus()If Me.NewRecord Then    Me.cbxBin1.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
    Else
        "WHERE (((AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin)=[Forms]![frmProduct]![allocated_bin_1] Or (AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin) Is Null)) " & _

"WHERE (((AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin)=[Forms]![frmProduct]![allocated_bin_2] Or (AllocatedUNION.AllocatedBin) Is Null)) " & _
    End If
    Me.cbxBin1.Requery
    Me.cbxBin2.Requery
    End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    Sorry for that copy/paste error. I should have taken another look at my code after Micron's post 19. Unfortunately can no longer edit the earlier post. My code in the Current event is actually:

Code:

If Me.NewRecord Then

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ah, that makes sense now. Here is my final code, I've tested and everything is functioning as expected.
    Can you just confirm it looks correct, I've renamed my combos to my own name and changed the visibility to enabled instead.

Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Me.secondaryBinSelectBox.Enabled = Not IsNull(Me.masterBinSelectBox)
        If Me.NewRecord Then
            Me.masterBinSelectBox.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _

Me.secondaryBinSelectBox.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
        Else
            Me.masterBinSelectBox.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _

Me.secondaryBinSelectBox.RowSource = "SELECT tblAllocatedBin.allocated_bin_id, tblBin.bin, tblBinType.bin_type " & _
        End If
        Me.masterBinSelectBox.Requery
        Me.secondaryBinSelectBox.Requery
    End Sub

Private Sub masterBinSelectBox_GotFocus()
        Me.masterBinSelectBox.Dropdown
    End Sub

Private Sub masterBinSelectBox_AfterUpdate()
        Me.secondaryBinSelectBox.Enabled = Not IsNull(Me.masterBinSelectBox)
    End Sub

Private Sub secondaryBinSelectBox_GotFocus()
        Me.secondaryBinSelectBox.Dropdown
    End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    Enabled property of textbox and combobox can be controlled with Conditional Formatting. That would be necessary if form is Continuous or Datasheet view. But VBA will work for Single view.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.