tonygg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Displaying an image in a tooltip on an access form

I have an access form that shows thumbnails of images along with other fields in a continuous form. I would like to show the full size image if the user hovers on the thumbnail. Is this possible? (if so please could someone guide me). Many thanks

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    just let them dbl-click it. There's an event for it.

Hi Ranman. Thank you. I was trying to avoid creating a new form just to display a larger version of the image that is already in the continuous form. i have done a double click to open a new form and passed in the handle to the record in the DB. The way I did it gave me some odd side effects like putting the selected row up to the top of the page. It also needs to be closed. I just wanted to quickly see a bigger image and then carry on in the main continuous form. Is there a way to use the click event and display an image rather than creating a new form that needs to be opened and closed (or a simply way to do this)?

Many thanks

Tony

tony

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    if it is a single form you could have a picture control sized as you require that is made visible when the user hovers over the thumbnail and hidden when it is not - or use the mousedown/up events to show the picture then hide it.

If you have a continuous form, you can do the same thing, but put the large image control in the header or footer.

If you have a continuous form and you want the image to appear close to the current thumbnail position, you will need a separate form to contain the image control and code to open and close the form as required.

For continuous forms, you will also need code to dynamically assign the picture as required.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Ajax answered with almost the same as my ideas whilst I was doing a detailed explanation with images (attached)
    However I suggested the mouse move event if using a single form

HTH

Colin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    Ajax answered with almost the same as my ideas whilst I was doing a detailed explanation with images (attached)
    However I suggested the mouse move event if using a single form

HTH

Colin
    Colin - Thank you so much for putting the work into such a comprehensive and detailed answer.

I have a continuous form so I used the footer suggestion. I put a large image in it and created an event based on clicking the small image:

Code:
    Private Sub ProductImageSmall_Click() 
     Me.FormFooter.Visible = Not Me.FormFooter.Visible
     Me.BigImage.Visible = True

End Sub
    This mostly works. If you click on the image the footer becomes visible. If you click again then it is hidden. I still have one issue. The image displayed in the footer corresponds to the last row that you are on for data entry (or at least text field). If you click on a small image on a different row the big image does not change. You need to click on another field in the new row to get the image to change.

I was wondering if there is a way to move the to the new row when you click the small image?

This would improve the user experience a lot as it is more intuitive to click on the image and expect to see that one in the footer.

Many thanks

Tony

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Sorry about the delay in replying.
    If you read my guidance again you'll see I covered exactly that issue
    Start at the bold section on page 2.

As before you COULD use the MouseMove event on ImageSmall to make ImageLarge visible
    BUT it will not be updated when you move to a new record as the image itself isn’t selected
    It also won’t work if you click the small image

Instead do this by adding code to the click event of a textbox control e.g. ImagePath:
    Private Sub ImagePath_Click()
    Me.ImageLarge.Visible = True
    End Sub
    HTH
    Last edited by isladogs; 08-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.