crusader0601 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Create new table based on form that gets input from other table for retirement home

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum and new to Access databases.
    I know I should read many tutorials or books to get the hang of it but I just don't have time.
    I am in charge (why it is me is a long explanation) for creating a database for the local retirement home. They organize many trips and want to keep track of everything in database.
    So I created a database with all the people in the retirement home. Then I want a form to create a new trip. I want that form just to give me listboxes of the table so I can select the people that go on the trip. After I select them (and I have to be able to do it on multiple days because not all people will tell the same day that they will go on the trip) I have to be able to save those selections in a new table (name of the table should be chosen at time of saving) and so on with many trips during the year (and thus multiple tables for multiple trips. I want it to be very easy so the people who work at the retirement home just have to select the people and click on a button to save that selection in a new table and in the new table are the data from the Original table.

At the end of the year I should be able to generate a table or query so I can see which people went on which trip and the totals.
    Is there allready some sort of database with this function I can use or change to be able to do what I have to do. Many thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    No, should not be multiple tables for multiple trips, should be 1 table.

I doubt you will find any existing database template that offers what you describe.

Programming a procedure that routinely modifies database structure is very poor design.

Suggest you make the time to study introductory tutorial on basic relational database concepts and Access functionality, otherwise you are on path of frustration and will never achieve your goal and efforts spent developing will be wasted. And there is never enough time to waste. Wasted time better spent on study and research. You will actually save time in the long run. Do the studying or find someone with the skills.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    No, should not be multiple tables for multiple trips, should be 1 table.

I doubt you will find any existing database template that offers what you describe.

Programming a procedure that routinely modifies database structure is very poor design.

Suggest you make the time to study introductory tutorial on basic relational database concepts and Access functionality, otherwise you are on path of frustration and will never achieve your goal and efforts spent developing will be wasted. And there is never enough time to waste. Wasted time better spent on study and research. You will actually save time in the long run. Do the studying or find someone with the skills.
    That is the whole problem but I had anticipated that this would be the answer.
    But the whole problem is that I do NOT have the time. I am a volunteer for the retirement home. They don't know anything about access.
    They just want to select the people that go on a trip from a list and save that in another list. So they can print that list for the trip and and the end of the year they can make totals for all trips and people.
    They don't care about database design, they just wanna have something other than the papers now so I said I would try to make a database.
    But thanks for the answer but time is something I don't have, I am a volunteer for the home. I was just wondering if there was allready a database design so I could enter the data in the table and change some design for our use..

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I was just wondering if there was allready a database design so I could enter the data in the table and change some design for our use
    I'm sure there is, but there will be a cost. Tour operator software comes to mind.

They don't care about database design
    Then don't go for database. It takes time and an amount of discipline/focus to obtain the results.

If they have lists, and want to save them. Use Word or similar. Name files appropriately and continue on.
    No database management system involved.

If you don't have time to deal with database (design, operate, manage...), then who else does?

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I'm sure there is, but there will be a cost. Tour operator software comes to mind.

Then don't go for database. It takes time and an amount of discipline/focus to obtain the results.

If they have lists, and want to save them. Use Word or similar. Name files appropriately and continue on.
    No database management system involved.

If you don't have time to deal with database (design, operate, manage...), then who else does?
    Tour operator software ? I just have 1 table and want to select names in a form based on that table and save in another table. Thats it.
    And word ? Then they have to typ every name and all the data for that person (contact info, age, social no, pills requirements etc). The meaning is that they just select names and all the info is pulled from entries of the other table.
    It was just a question. People dont seem to understand that I am a volunteer for a retirement home and that neither I nor the people who work there have time to follow tutorials or something like that. I was hoping that someone had allready something like that what we need.
    Not obvious answers about tutorials or design or other software or something like that. Just wondering if someone understands what a volunteer for a retirement home asks and maybe allready has a database like that.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Build tables.

Build forms bound to tables or queries.

Build comboboxes on forms.

Can't get much simpler.

I understand volunteerism. I volunteer as Little League umpire and built a small db to track umpire game assignments. But I already had Access skills.

A single solid weekend with an introductory book should get you on the correct path.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.