whilburn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Grouping/Consolidating/Denormalizing Data in Query

DBHelp.zip

I have attached a non-realistic database to help me with a conceptual issue in design. This database is created as a web database, hence my real one will be hosted on sharepoint. My issue is surrounding grouping of data. I realize there is a variety of definitions regarding grouping, but i attached an excel file representing a view of the data from within the database. My goal is to be able to view the data within queries due to the complexity of the type of queries i have to produce to show data. if i had to produce a report everytime, that could be alot of extra work for something that only needs to be produced once.

Thanks
    wayne

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Db looks realistic to me.

Don't understand, what is the issue? Why would you have to produce a report 'everytime'? Build a report using its Grouping and Sorting features. It can look virtually the same as the Excel example. Apply filter criteria to report if desired.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7 thanks for the reply
    all of my reports are in a spreadsheet format. Although i have several canned reports there are a ton of ad hoc reports that are requested and need a quick turnaround. Since you brought it up i am going to explore the approach of your suggestion. We have been using an enterprise data hub that is going to be transitioned to another system; meanwhile i have to provide the ability to still enter, modify, and report the data.

In answer to my original question... Can grouping be performed at the query level with respect to my attached example?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You already have a query that organizes the data in 'groups'. However, cannot suppress repeated display of the Artist and Album values. You can in a report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for the help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.