delwin69 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Access 2007 install issues

Greetings. This is my first time to post so please excuse and comment if needed. I have an issue with an Access 2007 install in a corporate setting. We used an unattended rip to uninstall Office 2003 and install 2007. On 99% of the installs there have been no problems. On one pc, each and every time I (or worse, the user) attempts to open Access or any database the app goes through a complete reconfiguration taking about 5-6 minutes. I have researched and tried numerous fixes, including a clean install, unregistering and regestering the msiexec.exe, telling the registry not to allow Office to register, as below:
    reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    Also other fixes in these websites;
    http://forums.techarena.in/office-setup/1024781.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...keep-tryi.aspx

There is only one version of Access used on the pc's, although the db's are from 98 on up, although this causes no other problems with any other pc's. At the moment I have Office 2007 and Access 2003 as a workaround. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -G.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    "We used an unattended rip to uninstall Office 2003 and install 2007."

Really? Pirating software? And in a corporate setting nonetheless. You wont get any help here.

Windows XP Access 2007

Not sure I follow your thinking

I'm not sure why anyone would assume we were using pirated software because it is an unattended rip. The Rip was made via Altiris so it could be dropped on groups of pc's as needed. I can assure you as regards to the City I work for ALL software is licensed and paid for: I was part of the group who made sure. Can someone please respond who will not make suppositions and perhaps ask questions first?

Windows XP Access 2003
    My apologies. I guess "unattended rip" has multiple meanings.

From what you posted as attempted remedies, you've pretty much isolated all the issues with the install. I'd look towards the machine it's being installed on. If there isn't too much on it, i'd back up the files, and re-image/reformat/re-whatever your IT dept policy is. You may have a few broken registry entries.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Accepted...thanks. Reimage is a last ditch effort, and one I have spoken with the user about. Not that is that difficult, I just hate using a sledgehammer when a ball-peen should work; a blanket fix doesn't teach me anything. I was kinda hoping I had missed something obvious. Thanks for the time to give me a response. Later. -G.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Do you still have office 2003 installs available? try doing a full uninstall of Access 2007 and installing only Access 2003 (not a rollback). see if the registration problem still occurs. It will help further identify if its a software issue or a machine issue. That is, assuming the part where the registration fails is common to the process in both 2003 and 2007.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, we do. One of my troubleshooting steps was to do what you suggested. I reinstalled Office 2003 and verified it worked correctly (it did) and then re-run the rip to see if this corrected the error. Sadly, it did not. My next step was indeed to do a manual uninstall of Access 2007 and a manual install of Access 2003 and see if Access worked fine in a mixed environment. It did, and my user can do his job while I continue to research. The registration is different between the two, and I'm half tempted to back up the registry then manually yank out anything related to Office and try again. Probably easier at this point to reinstall, but as I said if I don't find what part of the registry is broke I won't know for sure what fixed it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Personally, I'm not too fond of messing with the registry. Since you mentioned it worked fine on 99% of your machines, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. I'd file it away under "shit happens" and reimage because at this point, I don't think it has to do with the installation.

Windows XP Access 2007
    That's most likely what I'll wind up doing...not like I have all the time in the world to deal with it. Thanks for the time and trouble. Later. -G.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.