valglad is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Missing Dates - Running Balance

Hello,

I need help on how to deal with identifying missing dates, creating new records and assigning values to them.

The data looks like that:

Account_Number----------Currency-----------PostingDate--------OpeningBalance-----NetDaily---------Closing Balance
    1234-------------------------USD--------------July 1, 2016----------$80-----------------+$20-----------------$100
    1234-------------------------USD--------------July 3, 2016----------$100----------------+$40-----------------$140
    1234-------------------------USD--------------July 4, 2016----------$120----------------+$10-----------------$130
    1234-------------------------SGD--------------July 1, 2016----------$160-----------------$5-------------------$155
    1234-------------------------SGD--------------July 7, 2016----------$180----------------+$0------------------$180
    1235-------------------------USD--------------July 1, 2016----------$100---------------+$10------------------$110
    1235-------------------------USD--------------July 3, 2016-----------$10------------------$5-------------------$5

So, the objective is - if a date for the Acc Number/Currency combination is missing - to create a new record (i.e. for 1234-USD for July 2, 2016) and assign the closing balance from July 1 to the opening balance of the newly created record ($100), put zero for the NetDaily and put the sum of the Opening plus NetDaily into closing ($100+$0, or simply $100 since there was no activity that day).

The time gap could be up to two weeks. The data is sent by individual banks in csv format and is uploaded nightly into the database. The banks are located in different countries and operate on their own schedules. If the bank is closed, there is no report.

A query based on the table feeds an excel spreadsheet via pivot table and displays a cash position per day. Since some dates are missing for some combos of (Acc Num, Curr) - the opening balance, Net daily and the closing balance display NULL. To make the report uniform I need the data to have all elements for all days.

I did google different resources and ask some other forums but no results so far. So, if anyone can help - that would be really great.

Thanks
    Valeri

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    i answered this on the other board. It has code to cycle thru a calendar, adding EVERY date to a table,
    then use that table in an outer join to build the missing dates.

valglad is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you. But my problem is bigger than just identifying the dates. That part is easy, it's assigning values to the new records that I have the problem with, especially if the sequence of the missing dates is more than one.

Btw, in your code, vStart needs a datevalue function around the expression because otherwise it a string.
    sub buildDates(pvMo, pvYr)
    dim vDate, vStart, vEnd

docmd.setwarning false
    vStart = pvMo & "/1/" & pvyr
    vEnd = dateAdd("d",-1,dateAdd("m",1,vStart))
    vDate = vStart

while vDate < vEnd
    sSql = "insert into tMonthDates ([Date]) values (#" & vDate & "#)"
    docmd.runSql sSql
    vDate = dateAdd("d",1,vDate)
    wend
    end sub

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.