rosh41 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Some reasurance?

I just want to know why I'm facing tough resistance when proposing an Access database for our department of 10 people. We will hardly grow our database to 1-1.5Gig in size over the next 3-5 years.
    Be honest!! Is Acces any good??!!
    Is it possible to display live data on SharePoint linked to Access?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The short answer to why you're facing resistance is the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. People are comfortable with what they know and don't like change.

As for your Access specific questions:

Is Access any Good?

Talk about not pulling any punches! For it's price, and as long as you know what it should and shouldn't be used for, yes. Access is very good. There are more powerful databases out there, there are better overall database "solutions" too. But there's nothing - not anywhere - that gives you the combination of a database and an application that uses that database for anywhere near it's price. The next step up in "total database solutions" is in the thousands to tens of thousands of dollars.

That said, if you don't know what you're doing with Access, it's just as easy to create some nightmare monster that drains your company's resources and your time and effort. Be sure Access is really the answer to your needs and that you are willing to invest the time, effort, and money to do it right before you make the jump.

Is it possible to display live data on SharePoint linked to Access?

This one is a bit trickier. Personally, I know virtually nothing about SharePoint. From the little reading I've done on it however, I'd say "that depends on what you want to do." If you have SharePoint, you already have the two things needed to make your own database solution without Access: A database (Microsoft's SQL Server, a powerful relational database engine without many of the limitations of Access) and a user interface (SharePoint Designer).

Perhaps another individual here can give you more/better info, but if you've got SharePoint, I would guess that you wouldn't really need Access.

rosh41 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Thanks..

Thank you for the input. I've invested a lot of time into access the past few months, and wouldn't like to 'back off'. But, maybe I should divert my attention and see if I could make SQL & SharePoint work for me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.