PATRICKPBME is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Making tables "relate".

I have read the book, read suggested articles, looked on YouTube and still (apparently) don't get it. I have 3 tables that contain different information for my report. Each table has one thing in common with the other, a contact number. I thought that when running a query to generate my report that I had to (1) tell Access what tables to look at and (2) tell it what info to provide. I have seen the lines drawn between tables and again have read the articles some folks here have suggested about table relationships. So, for example, I have 100 contacts with 100 unique contract numbers. Those numbers are in every table.

When I make my query, I select the fields I want. I thought that I also had to "tell" Access to make sure to match the info from one table with the same contract number on any other table I get info from. So, do I just draw the line from 1 table's "contract number" field to the same field on any other table being used?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    and (3) how to filter the records, if at all
    I have 100 contacts with 100 unique contract numbers. Those numbers are in every table.
    That doesn't sound like the data is properly normalized but I can't be sure without knowing more. Can you post sample data (paste some rows & fields from a table, or rows/columns from a spreadsheet) into a post. It will create a table for you. Just make sure the columns are wide enough to prevent text wrapping. Some pics of your query design and what you want out of a query would help.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I will try!

PS My statement in my original should have said "I have 100 contracts..." if that makes a difference. The contract number is what is unique to every table.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Not much. Repeating such data in tables is generally not done unless it happens to be Primary Key data in one table and Foreign Key data in another, and then, I think it's best to have Cascading updates in defined relationships if that's the route that has to be taken. Many/most would use the Primary Key record ID (usually an autonumber) as the foreign key and not the actual contract/contact data. Again, can't really say without knowing more.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.