bruegel is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

This expression is typed incorrectly, or is too complex to be evaluated (again)

I've been through the forum and can't find an example of a similar problem to mine

Access 2003

I have to send royalty statements out every three months. The statement (report) doesn’t change. The underlying query format does not change. The query is very simple with one somewhat lengthy expression.

If I run the report with any of the other eighty odd previous identical queries (just a table with figures for that quarter is substituted) as a control source it displays perfectly. (Several queries use the same quarter’s figure table so that isn’t the problem).

However if I run the report with ‘New Query’ I’ve just created as a control source I get the dreaded

"This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables."

I haven’t changed the expression.

I’ve studied the syntax of the expression for hours and can’t see any difference. I’ve copied into notepad and pasted back to remove any background formatting I can’t see. There isn’t a date field to mess things up

I created a new db with only necessary tables & queries.

Problem remains

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Pieter

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Not enough info!

What is the difference between old query and "New Query"?

What is the "somewhat lengthy expression"?

Can you post your database? Or at least the query SQL.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you often get this error message if a field or parameter is null in a calculated column - so check your data and parameters to make sure there are no nulls. If there are, you need to either exclude these records in some way or modify your calculation to handle nulls

bruegel is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2003
    Thanks for the prompt replies.

After posting I just kept staring at every field. Goodness knows why but a field in a table which was part of the calculation had imported from excel as text. This was causing the problem

Grateful as ever

Pieter

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.