Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Heathey94 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

I assume you mean fields 0-9 right? How do I get rid of them? I can't see anyway of removing them, since I can't see where they're coming from in the first place.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    The first field in your SQL is an "*" which means show everything on the table. Then you repeat all the fields later on from the same table.

So are you suggesting I have combo boxes everywhere instead of text boxes? It just seems a little odd and pointless to have a combo box for a date etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    The first field in your SQL is an "*" which means show everything on the table. Then you repeat all the fields later on from the same table.
    Oh, I see! I didn't realise that was the case. That works now, thanks

The SearchAssessment combo box doesn't display the AssessmentNumber when you first open the AssessmentRecord page, can we get it to add it? I know we've set it to go to the assessment with the highest assessment number, but can we get it to display there from the beginning? I can see there being some confusion if there is a blank box.

So are you suggesting I have combo boxes everywhere instead of text boxes?
    Not everywhere, just where it makes sense (such as the LiberiID on the main page). It gives users a choice.

For SearchAssessment, in the OnLoad of the form you can set it to the value from the table (Me!SearchAssessment = Me!AssessmentID).

Trying to sort out team/district/org:

The assessor has all three, however the assessor could have been in a different place when the assessment was done, hence the need to store these values on TblAssessment. When an assessment is entered, an assessor will be selected and the record will default to those values from TblAssessor, however the user can change the team (which will change the other 2).

I don't see how the job title of assessor makes any difference to the process.

Not everywhere, just where it makes sense (such as the LiberiID on the main page). It gives users a choice.
    The LiberiID is a 6 or 7 digit number, which I thought would make it tougher to find the Child the user was searching for, but I guess at least that way they do have the option.

For SearchAssessment, in the OnLoad of the form you can set it to the value from the table (Me!SearchAssessment = Me!AssessmentID).
    I did try something similar, but it didn't work, thanks.

Trying to sort out team/district/org:

The assessor has all three, however the assessor could have been in a different place when the assessment was done, hence the need to store these values on TblAssessment. When an assessment is entered, an assessor will be selected and the record will default to those values from TblAssessor, however the user can change the team (which will change the other 2).

I don't see how the job title of assessor makes any difference to the process.
    There's only one difference - I don't want Teams from the Police etc to appear in the "AllocatedTeam" etc dropdown at the bottom, but yeah - I think you've got the jist of it.

I've got most of it working properly now, theres just a few things left - can I get a message to appear which could take the user to the profile of the child they are trying to add, if the Liberi ID has already been entered (as mentioned in the first post)?

Can I get the "Search" buttons to look if the child/assessor does already exist on the system, and provide the user with a message box to either go to the add child/assessor screen, or re-enter the details?

I don't want Teams from the Police etc to appear in the "AllocatedTeam" etc dropdown at the bottom
    How are you making this happen, are you not allowing them to enter something by disabling the field on the form?

can I get a message to appear which could take the user to the profile of the child they are trying to add
    I found a few problems here.
    - if I click on Add Child from the homepage, then enter a child, then click Add Child it gives me an error
    - if I add a child record and then click on assessments it doesn't save the new record (not sure why)
    - I added a save record here
    - then an error happens as there are no assessments for this new child so added:
    If IsNull(DLookup("AssessmentID", "tblAssessment", "ChildID=" & Me!ChildID)) Then
    DoCmd.OpenForm "AssessmentRecord"
    Else

Back to the issue at hand - as soon as the LiberiID is entered (AfterUpdate) do a dlookup on the liberiid and give an error message if it exists, with a Me.Undo

Can I get the "Search" buttons to look if the child/assessor does already exist on the system, and provide the user with a message box to either go to the add child/assessor screen, or re-enter the details?
    For the assessor, it being a combobox, you can use the NotInList event to ask the user if they wish to add it and do the logic depending on their answer.

For the liberiid, you can do a dlookup and proceed the same.

[QUOTE=aytee111;340809]How are you making this happen, are you not allowing them to enter something by disabling the field on the form?[\QUOTE]

No, I'm just limiting the query - if the assessor is from the police, the allocated team still needs to be completed, it will just have the team of the social worker.

[QUOTE=aytee111;340809]
    I found a few problems here.
    - if I click on Add Child from the homepage, then enter a child, then click Add Child it gives me an error
    - if I add a child record and then click on assessments it doesn't save the new record (not sure why)
    - then an error happens as there are no assessments for this new child so added:
    If IsNull(DLookup("AssessmentID", "tblAssessment", "ChildID=" & Me!ChildID)) Then
    DoCmd.OpenForm "AssessmentRecord"
    Else[\QUOTE]
    I didn't have either of these problems when I just tried to copy what you did, although when I clicked assessments it took me to the AssessmentRecord for Child ID 3 - I tried this twice with very different LiberiIDs and it took me to the same record (I thought maybe that was the problem), I thought maybe the code you posted might solve this problem, but it didn't appear to make a difference.

Back to the issue at hand - as soon as the LiberiID is entered (AfterUpdate) do a dlookup on the liberiid and give an error message if it exists, with a Me.Undo
    For the assessor, it being a combobox, you can use the NotInList event to ask the user if they wish to add it and do the logic depending on their answer.

For the liberiid, you can do a dlookup and proceed the same.
    OK, so I managed to code which I thought would allow me to do what I mentioned, but it doesn't seem to work, here it is:
    Code:
    Private Sub LiberiID_AfterUpdate()
    If IsNull(DLookup("LiberiID", "tblChild", "LiberiID=" & Me!LiberiID)) Then
    Else
    Dim Msg, Style, Title, Response, Action
    Msg = "This Liberi ID has already been entered onto the system. Please check you have entered the correct ID and the child is not already in the system. Do you want to view the record for the child with this ID?"
    Style = vbYesNo
    Title = "ID already exists!"
    Response = MsgBox(Msg, Style, Title,,)
    If Response = vbYes Then DoCmd.GoToRecord( , , "LiberiID=" & Me!LiberiID) Else Me.Undo
    End If
    End Sub
    This is what happens after I update:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ErrorMessageDuplicateID.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	26766
    I've attached the database again to keep you up to date with where I am.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Also, in a couple of places I have restricted whether a field is enabled based, on another field - at the bottom of the AssessmentRecord form is a prime example of this. There is one row which is almost entirely not enabled unless others have specific values, but I have some problems/queries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StatusEnabled.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	26768

CIN should be "No" and only enabled to allow change if Status is "SCS"
    LAC and CP should be "No" and only enabled to allow change if Status is "SCS" and CIN is no.
    Category should be blank and only enabled to allow change if CP is "Yes".
    If the field becomes disabled again, it should revert back to its default state (No/blank).

Any suggestions on how this can happen? it makes sense in my head, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it to work. I assume making it enabled/disabled is through conditional formatting, but I don't know how to make it AND instead of OR, and forcing the text to something else seems would just be adding something along the lines of the below in the After Update event, but it hasn't done anything and can't deal with Category being blank (this is after the update of the CaseStatus field):

Code:
    Private Sub CaseStatus_AfterUpdate()
    If CaseStatus = "SCS" Then Else
    CIN = "No"
    LAC = "No"
    CP = "No"
    Category = ""
    End Sub

when I clicked assessments it took me to the AssessmentRecord for Child ID 3
    See post #53 - you have your DoCmd.OpenForm the wrong way around.

Your compile error was purely a syntax error, you should be fixing those yourself in order to learn.

Code:

Else
            Msg = "This Liberi ID has already been entered onto the system. Please check you have entered the correct ID and the child is not already in the system. Do you want to view the record for the child with this ID?"
            Style = vbYesNo
            Response = MsgBox(Msg, Style, Title)
            If Response = vbYes Then
                Me.Filter = "LiberiID=" & Me!LiberiID
                Me.Undo
                Me.FilterOn = True
                Me.Requery
            Else
                Me.Undo
                DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
            End If
        End If

End Sub

Conditional formatting is only required on continuous forms. As this is a single record form you can use VBA to set your values.

This is how you will get there:
    1 - write it down in complete sentences - pen and paper! People stare at the computer screen and move the mouse back and forth, but the brain doesn't work that way.
    2 - add "IF/Else" to those sentences
    3 - continue with step 2 while it becomes more and more to resemble computer code
    Only then can you copy it to VBA code.

Note: start to code using the accepted looks of it, such has mine posted above. Yes, Access doesn't care but it will help a lot, far easier to read a decipher.

See post #53 - you have your DoCmd.OpenForm the wrong way around.
    I tried switching them, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything - ID 3 is still the ID which is selected.

Your compile error was purely a syntax error, you should be fixing those yourself in order to learn.

Code:

Else
             Style = vbYesNo
             Response = MsgBox(Msg, Style, Title)
             If Response = vbYes Then
                 Me.Filter = "LiberiID=" & Me!LiberiID
                 Me.Undo
                 Me.FilterOn = True
                 Me.Requery
             Else
                 Me.Undo
                 DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
             End If
         End If

End Sub
    I would have done, but I didn't know where the problem was. Your fix just wipes the duplicate ID that is entered, a message box doesn't appear first.

Conditional formatting is only required on continuous forms. As this is a single record form you can use VBA to set your values.

This is how you will get there:
    1 - write it down in complete sentences - pen and paper! People stare at the computer screen and move the mouse back and forth, but the brain doesn't work that way.
    2 - add "IF/Else" to those sentences
    3 - continue with step 2 while it becomes more and more to resemble computer code
    Only then can you copy it to VBA code.

Note: start to code using the accepted looks of it, such has mine posted above. Yes, Access doesn't care but it will help a lot, far easier to read a decipher.
    Ok, I'm working on it...

On the behaviours form, the same applies - if the Risk Present changes to no, Assessment and 3rdPartyIntelligence should also revert to no, as this is a continuous form, I assume this cannot be done VBA, have you any suggestions?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.