murphy63 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

search form results into split form

I have created an unbound search form which gives me the results I want. The problem is I want the results to input into a split form that I have also created. Ideally the data sheet portion (top)of the split form will contain the results of the search and the update form portion (bottom) of the split form will populate when one of the records is selected in the top of the split form. I do not know how to tie the search results to the split form. I have attached a document with screen shots of the 2 forms. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Since you know the search for is working, presumably it generates a "Where" clause that you can use as a "Where" when opening the split form.

All you need to do is add that filter string to the Docmd.Openform:

DoCmd.Openform "splitformname", , , "filterstring"

Windows XP Access 2007
    the search form uses a query to pull the correct data which has a where for the search criteria. I don't know where between the search form, the split results form and the query to put this code to open the form I want. Where do I code this? DoCmd.Openform "splitformname", , , "filterstring"? this is new to me and I don't know how to pull the pieces together. thanks in advance for your assistance.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Where do I place this DoCmd.Openform? Is it in the properties of the search form, or the search query linked to the search form? If it is in the search query where in the sql stmt does it go? I do not know how to do this and don't understand how all this ties together... I am trying to learn.

Thank you

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Your said in your initial post that your unbound search form gives you the results you want. How do you know this, i.e. what does the search form do? I see two buttons on the bottom of the form, but what do they do (icons don't help much)?

You might be able to use one of them to open the split form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.