photoed is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Use a 2 field key to copy additional fields into a subform

I have a small photo printing business that uses a database to track jobs and prepare invoices. There are 2 job files, a Job_Header, and an associated Job_Part file. A given job will have a single Job_Header with a job number, customer data, dates, total cost for the job, etc. That Job_Header will be hooked to one or more job parts by the job number. The job parts will have a field with a single letter to distinguish the parts. This forms a 2 field, unique key for the Job_Part file.

I also have 2 invoice files, an Invoice_Header and an Invoice_Line file. These are hooked by the invoice number. The Invoice_Header has customer info, invoice totals, date, etc. The Invoice_Line has the invoicing information for a single Job_Part. To prepare an invoice for a particular job you will prepare the Invoice_Header, a main form, then an Invoice_Line for each Job_Part, a subform. It is possible to invoice only part of a job on a particular invoice or to invoice more than one job on an invoice by including those job parts (in an invoice line) as appropriate.

The Invoice_Line has a field for the job number and the letter that represents that Job_Part. There are also a number of other fields in the Invoice_Line that match fields in the Job_Part file, such as quantity and price for that Job_Part. What I would like to do when preparing an invoice is to enter the job number and the letter representing the Job_Part (a 2 field, unique key) into the Invoice_Line and have the rest of the relevant fields in the Invoice_Line filled in from the Job_Part file. I have been unable to figure a way to do this. Can anyone give me any suggestions. Please keep in mind that my Access knowledge is pretty basic. Thanks.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    On a form , you'd have a combo box for Jobs. (Headers)
    when you pick the job#' this will fill in a list box (job details)... its a query that looks at the cbo box.

here you create an Invoice. Dbl-click the job detail listbox ,to add 1 , some, or all job items.
    This is an append query to add the item from the job detail list to the Invoice detail table.

a delete query lets you remove the item, in case you added the wrong one.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.