marlan is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Error 3045 in multiuser mdb App

Hi to all!

I am having some difficulties with an Access 2003 (mdb) App. It has bin running in this architecture for the past few years: FE on each machine, BE(s) on server. (If to be accurate: each work-station has an app that copies the FE from a network location). Used by up to 3 users.

The FE is linked to 2 BE files: one has a list of Data files (BE_1.mdb), and the other is a selected Data file from the list (BE_2s.mdb).
    On start-up the user gets a form containing a combo-box linked to BE_1. BE_2 is not accessed until after opening the next form.
    My proble: all users can open this start-up form, but only the first one can open the next form. the rest of them get 3045 Error: "Could not use <name>; file already in use"

In other words: BE_1 can be accessed simultaneously, BE_2 can-not.

A few more details:

1. All files are opened in "shared" mode (Tools->Options-Advanced tab).
    2. ldb file is created only for BE_1, not for BE_2 (I have a feeling this is the issue).
    3. These problems began after I preformed some Data manipulations, but they now occur on older backups I have.
    4. Security is based on the LAN - no one but my users can access my application's directory on the server.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Last edited by marlan; 06-22-2010 at 03:06 PM.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    temporarily suspend this method: "each work-station has an app that copies the FE from a network location"

and instead copy the FE onto the workstations and set up the links to the BEs

see if the problem goes away at this point...

if the type workstation they are does not permit copying the FE onto them - - then as an alternative make 3 separate FEs and set up the copy so that FE1 is copied onto WS2, while FE2 is copied onto WS2 and see if the problem still exists...

the error message is saying you have 2 users in the same instance of the software...you seem to have the hunch that it is the link to BE2 but that doesn't seem to be the error message indicator however....but try these and you'll find out...

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    mis typed above....FE1 to WS1, FE2 to WS2, etc.... just do a couple or three for testing...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.