ayupchap is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Changing the display possible?

I have created a relational database where there is a student table and a strands table. The strands table lists the results for each strand a student gets (D,E or S). It so far looks like this:

First Name Second Name Number- Counting and number value Number- Add, sub, mult, div and est Shape, Space and Measure
    Student FN1 Student LN1 E D E
    Student FN2 Student LN2 E D E
    Student FN3 Student LN3 D S D
    Student FN4 Student LN4 D S D
    Student FN5 Student LN5 S S D
    Student FN6 Student LN6 D D S
    Student FN7 Student LN7 E D S
    Student FN8 Student LN8 E E S
    Student FN9 Student LN9 E D E

Now is there anyway in a report to make the strands show up on the left ans the names across the top? even if its just the first name? This would be amazing if I could (FN means first name and LN means last name). I have no idea if this is possible or how to do this.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    In report design, create a group by student; place the name controls in the group. Place the strands in the detail section of the report.
    You can play with the position of labels, putting them in the report header or group header, but I would think not in the detail section.
    Last edited by Micron; 10-31-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Oh wow. So that would make it look like this:
    Student FN1 Student FN2 Student FN3 Student FN4 Student FN5 Student FN6 Student FN7 Student FN8 Student FN9
    Number- Counting and number value E E D D S D E E E
    Number- Add, sub, mult, div and est D D S S S D D E D
    Shape, Space and Measure E E D D D S S S

I'm having trouble making it look like this which is what I want. I created a student group but what do you mean by control? Sorry not sure about this type of customization. Thanks so much for your help and expertise on thsi

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I just can't seem to get it to work. here is what I got, I must be missing something right? I can not for the life of me work out how to get it to look like my last post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reportview.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	26301

No, it would not. I took your layout to mean that the data was stored in the proper row/field configuration as befits a database and your request to mean the report should more or less fit the norm. The second row I took to be how data is stored (the field names are abbreviated to save space).
    First Name Second Name Number- Count&value Number- ASMDE Shape, S&M
    Student FN1 Student LN1 E D E

You didn't say you wanted the rows to be transposed to columns.

Name:	reportDesign.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	26300
    In the image, AssetID and SystemID are textbox controls. AssetID is placed in the detail section; SystemID in the SystemID header. The value in the header would show once for each SystemID for which there are AssetID detail records. I was saying that in your case, names are analogous to SystemID and 'strands' are analogous to AssetID, one control for each of your strand headings, side by side (like AssetID, Asset and whatever comes to the right that is not shown).

With all due respect, if you don't know what a control is, I think you are severely disadvantaged for solving this issue. Report design would not be first night in Access Level 1, if you get my drift. I'm wondering if you need to step back and review some tutorials on report design (and maybe query too, since that is the foundation of a good report). If Orange sees this post, perhaps he can weigh in - he seems to have a plethora of links for good tutorials at the ready. If I take your sample info literally, you are already exhibiting poor naming practices (using dashes, spaces, commas, reserved words...). This would definitely indicate a need to brush up on design, normalization and naming conventions.
    Last edited by Micron; 10-31-2016 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added naming practice comment
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by ayupchap View Post
    I just can't seem to get it to work. here is what I got, I must be missing something right? I can not for the life of me work out how to get it to look like my last post.
    This appeared after my reply. You should be able to figure out that I'm saying this is not how it should be laid out. If your data looks like this too, it means you have to add a table field each time there is a new student added, or worse, remove a field when they're gone. This is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Nor should you want your report to resemble that sort of layout, mostly for the same reasons. Someone might help you achieve what you want, but sorry, it can't be me.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    OK Thanks so much for all your help here. I am going to try this out. Really appreciate the time you have put into this.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I hear what you are saying. I have made databases in the past but in a different system, access is something i am using to try and help out a friend. Although there are great similarities in all database systems there are ways things work and names of its parts which are different so it is throwing me a little. I should add I would never normally make labels like this at all. The end users are teachers and these are the strand titles they wanted to identify with so they could enter grades. I couldn't think of another way unless I gave them a unique code which they would then have to reference, its what they wanted and a cheap fix to be honest, not sure how else to display the title in an access form otherwise although I could in a report. The term control I just researched and see what it means now, its a term I have not used before when making something, I have used primarily salesforce. You are right however with regards to doing some homework on access report creation and query making. I have 4 related tables so far and I did normalize but I'm not so good at that and I was slightly restricted by the import files I have to use which is how the system is to be updated for the student table details.

Again I appreciate your help and time. Any good known resources would be much appreciated.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have to agree with Micron.
    Your table design is like an Excel spreadsheet, which is not the design of an relational database.

I would expect the tables to look more like:

tblStudents
    StudentID_PK AutoNumber
    FirstName Text
    LastName Text

tblStrandDesc
    StrandDescID_PK AutoNumber
    StrandDesc Text - desc of strand (ex: "Number- Counting and number value")

tblStrandResults
    StrandResultID_PK AutoNumber
    StudentID_FK Number - link to tblStudents
    StrandID_FK Number - link to tblStrand
    Strand Text - value of Strand (D,E or S)

Name:	Strand1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	26302

but....... I know nothing about your project - you might have other tables and requirements.........

The design principles wrt naming or data structure (normalization) of which I speak transcend all formats. If the inputs don't jive, it's incumbent on you to either convince others to adapt or you have to bring over the data in a way that befits the need, or make that transition once you have it as data that's laid out in spreadsheet fashion. One way is to link workbooks as tables, then rearrange data in new tables so that it suits the database norm. Regarding label names, that's not so much an issue. My comment was about field names mostly. The caption (proper term) of a label can be anything - even like what you've shown. Under no circumstances should the name of the control (a label is a control too) resemble what you have.

If you want help with your relationships or other factors not related to this post, I'm sure that we'd be happy to help. It's common to post a picture of your relationships window. Just start a new thread that defines the need or issue. However, be clear and concise when describing what you have, need, and if applicable, have tried. A good narrative on the business that the db is intended to support is often a big help. In the meantime, you might want to review these topics:

autonumbers:
    http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0025.htm
    http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/index.php/Autonumbers
    primary keys (and other good topics listed on left nav pane): http://www.fmsinc.com/free/newtips/primarykey.asp
    naming:
    http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=225837
    http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0012.htm
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Wonderful, Thanks so much Micron and also ssanfu for all your help. I'm going to look into all of this now. I absolutely see where you are coming from. No doubt you will hear from me again at some point in the near future.

PS ayupchap; if you don't already know, what ssanfu did to suggest a schema takes some time. More than this lazy guy would usually do.
    Nice to have that sort of dedication in this forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.