erifnezorfss is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit

query bound form disappears when given an input via combo box

Hi,
    I started learning Access a week back and have been stuck on this particular step for 2 days now.

I created 2 tables (1 for a list of countries and 1 for the companies) then created a query that checks into both the tables and fetches the company details based on the input company name. So i decided to create a query bound form that would take company name as input from a combo box and display the details. The problem is that when I bind the the combo box to the query the form disappears completely. I think this might be the case because the form has no value to display but i have no clue how to correct this. I have been trying to search for an answer for the past 2 days, been through tutorial videos but am not able to figure this out. Please help. attachment contains the access file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Be sure your combo box settings are correct.
    the bound field,
    the # ccolumns,
    the bound column,

if you don't see it after picking, usu because the bound column is not correct.

Thanks for the reply, i don't think that's the problem because the query works just fine. It's the form that is not visible as you can see from the attachment.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    IMHO it would be easier to bind the form to the query without criteria and then filter the form after combo selection or use the wizard to create a combo that finds the record selected in the combo
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    IMHO it would be easier to bind the form to the query without criteria and then filter the form after combo selection or use the wizard to create a combo that finds the record selected in the combo
    i get the point but i do not how to do it. Additionally i was trying the same procedure as i saw in one of the video tutorial (which went extremely smooth). it would be great if you could let me know what went wrong here and how i can proceed with this, am feeling a bit sad about this now

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    In Form Design View, go to Properties - Data and change the Data Entry Property to No. Having the Data Entry Property set to Yes means that you can only enter New Records...you cannot display Existing Records, which is what you're trying to do, here!

Despite the name of Data Entry, it does not have to be set to Yes in order to enter data!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    In Form Design View, go to Properties - Data and change the Data Entry Property to No. Having the Data Entry Property set to Yes means that you can only enter New Records...you cannot display Existing Records, which is what you're trying to do, here!

Despite the name of Data Entry, it does not have to be set to Yes in order to enter data!

Linq ;0)>
    Hey, i did that , doesn't work

Don't know what to tell you, then...did just what I posted, above, and it works for me! When a company is selected from the Combobox it's info is displayed.

You should note that your Form is Read-Only, because it is based on a Read-Only multi-table Query. The 'blank Form' is actually a blank Detail Section, i.e. not even Controls themselves showing, because a Form that is Read-Only and has no Records appears this way.

Maybe I've misunderstood your problem, but download, unzip and take a look at the file I modified, here:

test.zip

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Don't know what to tell you, then...did just what I posted, above, and it works for me! When a company is selected from the Combobox it's info is displayed.

You should note that your Form is Read-Only, because it is based on a Read-Only multi-table Query. The 'blank Form' is actually a blank Detail Section, i.e. not even Controls themselves showing, because a Form that is Read-Only and has no Records appears this way.

Maybe I've misunderstood your problem, but download, unzip and take a look at the file I modified, here:

test.zip

Linq ;0)>

yes , you were right. I must've done something wrong while cross checking. Thanks a million. You rock, seriously . A wise lesson learned the hard way thanks every1 for your responses

Glad we could help!

Good luck with your project!

Welcome to AFN!

Linq ;0)>

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.