MS_Access_User is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit

General questions on creating a simple incident database

I'm unsure where is the best place to post this (database-section, table, query, etc.) as this is a more general question. I'm more or less an absolute beginner, so have patience with me. I'm fully aware that this might be a helluwah bigger question then I think it is.

I don't have much experience with Access (or database creation in general), but I've been tasked with setting up a database which will record incidents of a certain nature. I have toyed around with Access a bit, but I'm somewhat unsure about the limits and the possibilities of the program. All I'm looking to do is create a simple database where people (or simply an administrator) can enter data, and where they can view and search through it.

So far I've made a form for entering data which works just fine, however, you can still edit the data in the forms. I'm looking to create a way for people to browse through the entries, and search through them. I suppose I have to create a query for the latter to work.

Is there a way of doing this in a tabbed form where the tabs are for viewing data and adding new entries?

I would be very thankful if you could give me some general pointers, or show me where I can find some decent tutorials for my problem.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I recommend you work through this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary. You will learn about database design, tables and relationships. Tables and relationships are the most critical part of database. If these do not match your business issue/opportunity (that is the problem you are trying to solve/automate), then you'll spend a lot of miserable time trying to build "work arounds" that could be easily avoided by having the appropriate structure.

It will take about 45 minutes to work through the tutorial and experience the process. You can use what you learn with any database.

Don't jump into database thinking that Access form(s) is the essence of database. It isn't. It's part of the user interface but getting your tables and relationships identified and tested is critical.

Here is a link to another thread where I have suggested some related videos. Post #4
    Last edited by orange; 10-16-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    While you're doing the recommended research, I'm curious to ask, is this an environmental incident database?
    I would not categorize that as 'simple'! Maybe whatever it is, you don't expect much from your db (or maybe are not foreseeing the potential).
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

MS_Access_User is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit
    Thanks! I will have a look at the tutorials posted.

I already have my tables and I've structured the relationships between them, and they seem to work fine (for now, at least).

As metioned, I am looking for a way of making it so that users can view-, search- and enter records,but not edit existing ones.
    Like I said, I'm not aware of the full possibilities and limitations of Access, so I don't know whether what I'm asking for is somewhat a "Access-pro" could do in 5 minutes, of if it's something that in reality is a whole lot trickier.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You can open a form to allow users to enter new records and open the same form later allowing view only. All you need is a way to distinguish between either intent and pass this mode to the open args for the form.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.