kalmeida is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access database has multiple forms; how do I get the form record to save into another form?

Hi,

I have multiple forms that are used for entering an observation. I have a form that opens a blank copy each time you click the button. Each form is connected to a table.

How can I get the records from each specific form to show up in another form based on a unique identifier?

Does this make sense, I can elaborate....

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Not to me it doesn't (aside from why you'd have multiple forms to enter "an observation").
    a blank copy - of what?
    Each form is connected to a table. you mean both forms, or more than two ("each form"). Connected to the same table?
    How can I get the records from each specific form - you mean the one you started with, which displayed records?
    to show up in another form based on a unique identifier? - Sounds like what you want is to open a form with a (single??) record which uses some piece of information from the first form as criteria to limit the records to be displayed. This is why it's usually (not always) better to open forms based on queries instead of tables. If you create a select query that uses the value of a control on the first form as criteria and base your second form on this query, you should get the record(s) you desire if the query is correct AND the first form is open when the query runs. You can test this query by running it when the first form is open and the control contains a value. If this second form is identical to the first in design and all you're doing is presenting different data, then I don't consider it good design practice to replicate forms (or reports) for this reason.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Without understanding your full needs nor understanding your project, the best I can offer is you may want to look into sub-forms. Here is a link to learn about sub-forms and you can determine if they apply to you.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...a-1e74d6f5f06b

kalmeida is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have a student form that stores information in a students table. It holds all the general information for the student.

I have multiple forms, that are not the same and used to evaluate a student based on the program they are enrolled in. Each of these forms has a table.

I want to have the ability to open a blank form, whichever relates the the student and when it is saved have it appear in the student form.

I have tried to run a query, but for some reason no data appears.

For example,

I have entered information in the student form for myself. Then, I have to click on the form 3 because that is my program. When I close the form, it saves, and I want to use a subform to get it to appear on a tabbed location in my student form.

Then, I go to enter in student information for someone else. They have a different form. I want to use the subform feature again to have that information appear in just their tabbed location in the student form.

Do I have a form that is linked to a query of all of these forms and have a relationship with the student form based on the same identifier? (which is their student ID). I can have the form show up as a datasheet, and this way it will just display the information? Then I can have the open/edit feature, to have it open the form view if there is any records for that student?

Does that make more sense/can happen?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Let's see if I/we've got it now.
    You have/want form A, which has a subform B which is on a tab control (not tabbed form, which is not a form type but a form view). When form A/B is open, you want to open form C and if there are no records, enter details, close it and see the newly entered data in your subform when form A becomes visible again.
    If there are already records, do you want the user to be able to open form C to edit? I think not since the edits could be done directly in the subform. For that matter, why not just add/edit the data in the subform instead of creating another form to do that?

"They have a different form." How many different forms do you have for entering student data? I must not be understanding your statements, for to have a form for each student makes no sense at all. It would help if you didn't refer to two or more objects (forms) in your description and follow that with "the form". I'm very literal and struggle with figuring out which of multiple mentions that such a phrase refers to.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.