gsashwin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Importing text data

Dear Forum members,

Thanks in advance for this. I have a problem with MS Access. It goes like this

I have a text file in which records are updated say every 3 hours. Fields in this text file are separated by commas. I am importing these fields into MS Access 2007 using the external data text file mode. I am able to import all the fields for the first time but when the text file is getting updated, the Access file also needs to get updated. So can anyone give me an idea about how do i achieve this step.

My other question is i have this text file on my C: and this access file takes in the data from the text file using the external data. Now say if i want to achieve portability in other words if i transfer these files to any other computer is there any way that Access can look for this particular file to import data without connecting to it explicitly everytime.

Maybe my questions contradict each other, if so, please help me on the first one. I believe the second one can be taken care of later too.. Thanks a lot for your patience and time.

llkhoutx is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Import data into a blank templorary table, then append it to another tbale that contains all imported data.

Check out the "common dialog" which creates give user the abaility to browse to any folder and file for import. It looks similar to the Windows explorer window.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.