N7925Y is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Have I set my database up correctly with normalized tables

I am working on building a database and have been reading about database normalization. I have built my tables and established my relationships. I have attached the database for review to see if I have done this correct. I have included about 5 rows of sample data. Please let me know if I have set this up correctly.

My next step is to add a form to add new contacts. My question with this is how should I do that? A form with bound subforms for each table? unbound text boxes with code appending the data to each table?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Jennings_Sample_Database1.zip

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Can you give us the business processes and rules that go with this database?

Your relationships do not show any Cardinality??

eg 1 to Many

Cardinality

The cardinality of a relationship is the number of instances of entity B that can be associated with entity A. There is a minimum cardinality and a maximum cardinality for each relationship, with an unspecified maximum cardinality being shown as N. Cardinality limits are usually derived from the organisations policies or external constraints.
    For Example:
    At the University, each Teacher can teach an unspecified maximum number of subjects as long as his/her weekly hours do not exceed 24 (this is an external constraint set by an industrial award). Teachers may teach 0 subjects if they are involved in non teaching projects. Therefore, the cardinality limits for TEACHER are (O,N). The University's policies state that each Subject is taught by only one teacher, but it is possible to have Subjects that have not yet been assigned a teacher. Therefore, the cardinality limits for SUBJECT are (0,1).

Another article(M$oft) on Relationships and referential integrity

Glad you found the links useful.(PM)
    Last edited by orange; 10-01-2016 at 06:45 AM.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yeah the way I see it, you are going to need to determine what came first, the chicken or the egg. Are you managing contacts first or are you managing companies first? At the end of the day, you will probably need a solution for both.

If you role play a couple scenarios in your head, you might imagine a situation where a User needs to manage or add a contact to a company that already exists. Another scenario might play out where that same contact needs to be associated with an additional company and that company does not yet exist. Another scenario might play out where you need to add a company that is completely organic to the database.

All of these thoughts are dependent on forms for the user. However, you need to resist the urge of working with forms until after you have your tables sorted. Keep the business rules and business processes in the back of your mind while you struggle with relationships and cardinality. Test your database theory with queries. Move back and forth between queries and tables before realizing a form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.