cloudforgiven is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Don't have permissions to import or export or link to data entry??

Hi first post here. Okay I have a database that was made using access 97 and I am trying to convert it to 2003(my boss has this). So I created a new BLANK database in Access 2003 and started importing the old database in so I can convert using the database utilities. Now I can import the tables and queries but for some reason when i try to import the forms and the modules it gives me this message:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acess_message.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	25652

Now the owner of the computer that this database is on has full admin rights on this file has read/design and even FULL permissions, yet it still gives me this message. It should be noted that this is the back-end of a much larger database, in which I already converted the front end successfully.

Here is the database : https://www.mediafire.com/?bl6q53d3578h8oe

I thoroughly researched this and even open the old database that I was importing with exclusive rights, and still same thing. I turned off the anti-viruses etc.... and well I am pretty much racking my brain at this point. I know the DB isn't corrupt because everything opens fine in Access 97. Any assistance is much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by cloudforgiven; 08-31-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    More info needed.
    Can you open the database that you're trying to import from? If so, try compact/repair while in that database.
    If not, try a compact/repair on it by starting Access and doing it from there (navigating & selecting the file to be c/r). Can't recall where this is in 2003 version.
    Then retry the import.
    Are you trying to import from an .mde? I don't think you can.
    Rather than post your db in a file sharing environment, better if you can zip a copy and post it here. Some forum members won't download from a file sharing site.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Ok my post is back, Micron I already tried what you suggested, I open the DB in Access 97 then compact an repair. Then I tried importin into Access 2003 an still same message

Also the file is .mdb and I cant upload a zip file cause the limit is 2mb an its 117mb

Suggest you contact the moderator here. I saw your post, replied, came back and it was gone.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Not sure what happened; I approved the post and then it moderated itself again. I've approved the first again and deleted the duplicate.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

LOOOOL I am confused as well but thank you for sorting it out. Anyway I am running out of options an this stupid security thing is annoying. It makes no sense why the tables an queries can be imported but the forms an modules cannot??

So what is the zipped size if the original file is 117 Mb? I downloaded your db but it won't open.
    Microsoft Access database engine can't find the file 'Databases'. It's probably corrupt.
    Try opening the 97 with 2003 as opposed to trying to import into 2003.

Zipped is 112mb, I tried to open the 97 DB directly with 2003 but it says I need special permissions to open it(I did not create DB but the owner is Admin which is the user I logged on as) even though I have full control over the files, which is why I am importing it. This method was what I used to convert the FRONT end, and that worked out, but with this BACK end I am having this issue. I thought about the DB being corrupted, however it works fine when I open it in access 97. TBH I am not sure what to do next? Is there some way I can just copy the DB to access 2003 instead of importing or opening it?

I forgot to mention the DB was on a shared network drive, but I copied the file to the desktop and I am using it from their(DID NOT MAKE A SHORTCUT), I'm not sure if this is the reason for the permission issue because I don't know who created the shared network drive(I do have admin on the drive tho).

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    As I recall, A97 was in the days of the old Access security files, used to grant permissions. Did your A97 database use one (other than the default)? If so, maybe you need to open the database with that security file, and make sure that everyone has full permissions to do everything.

I assume it's not default security because it seems like only certain users can access it. How do I find this security file ?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Look for a file with the extension .mdw (call an Access workgroup file).

You specify it on the command line to open MS Access. This web site will give you an idea of how to do that:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...in-access-2010

It's for Access 2010, but it works the same way for A2003.

These might help too:

https://www.techonthenet.com/access/...ty/use_mdw.php

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...rom-a-database

One thing you might look at is if you can get into that A97 database with sufficient permissions, you could try exporting those objects to a new blank A97 database, and then use that new one as the source to import into A2003.

When I was troubleshooting this problem I joined the workgroup that this file was on with the new access(2003) blank DB an that didn't solve my issue, but I will try your suggestions an links. I will probably reply back tomorrow since today I have school all day.

Also I am a little confused with those links you posted(Ive seen stuff like that when I was researching how to troubleshoot my problem), but what are you trying to accomplish by those information in the links? Are you trying to bypass the MDW file by creating a new one? Or is it something else entirely?

Creating an new DB in 97 and trying to import the old one still gave me the same permissions error.
    Last edited by cloudforgiven; 09-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.