dickn is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Question Added a table to a query. Form using query gave RTE 2448 when control clicked.

Ticket purchase application has the following elements (to name a few):

CustomersQ = Select query using table Customers and Membership joined by CustID.
    OrdersQ = Select query using tables Orders, Performance, Prices and Customers joined by
    various fields such as CustID, PerfID, PriceClass, etc. A complex query.

Form Customers uses record source CustomersQ. The ordering procedure goes like this:
    Select customer, select performance, click on "Order" button which creates new record in Orders table. Then open form OrderPerf using record source OrdersQ for specific record just added. Click on tickets, click on seats, click on payment, print tickets, close OrderPerf form
    which returns to Customers form. No problem. Working like this for years.

Decided to add table Membership to OrdersQ to extract a couple of fields for order checking.
    Table Membership is linked to table Customers by CustID as in the CustomerQ query. I also tried replacing the Customer:Membership tables with the query CustomersQ, but the result
    in both cases was the following:

Form Customers is using record source CustomersQ. The ordering procedure goes like this:
    Select customer, select performance, click on "Order" button which creates new record in Orders table. Then open form OrderPerf using record source OrdersQ for specific record just added. Click on tickets and - "RTE 2448 You cannot assign a value to this object".

This also happens if another order form is opened from form Customers such as "Make a Donation" which also uses the OrdersQ as the source record. Click on a control and BOOM!
    So it would appear that the revised OrdersQ is the culprit. But why?

Remove Membership table from OrdersQ and we're back to normal.
    What am I doing incorrectly in changing the OrdersQ linked tables?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    It sounds like you have created a read only Recordsource for your form. Maybe this link will help: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

dickn is offline Novice
    RuralGuy,

That's what I figured but couldn't for the life of me figure out how it got that way.
    The allenbrowne link has a good list of possibilities and two or three of those
    could be the cause. I'll take a look at it and once I find the problem (here's hoping I do)
    I'll reply with that cause and then mark this as solved. Thanks for the lead.

dickn is offline Novice
    RuralGuy,

Got it!! At first I thought it was "uses JOINs of different directions" but after trying them all there was no success. Then I tried making the CustID field in Membership table a Primary Key. And that was it!! It's a bit puzzling because in the CustomersQ query there was a JOIN of the same type between tables Customers and Membership without using a Primary Key in the Membership table and that was fine. Anyway, all fixed.
    And thank-you again for the lead to Alan Browne. dick ( Location: 0' in Victoria BC , Canada)

dickn is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Anyone. I'm not on here very often and I'd like to mark a thread as SOLVED but don't know how to do that!!

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dickn View Post
    Anyone. I'm not on here very often and I'd like to mark a thread as SOLVED but don't know how to do that!!
    It is at the top of the thread under Thread Tools.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Thanks for posting back with your success and solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.