Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CharissaBelle is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    So you have some vehicles(trucks??) that you load(with ??) and it ( including the driver)

Why exactly does it arrive and stop then leave these other places? I think that has a lot to do with your business.

This sounds like a schedule -- some truckers call this a Route with waypoints.

From Wikipedia:

??
    So every stop or (waypoint) is a segment?

What is it that makes a postal trip different than an LBCTrip?

Sorry, but this is not true!!! This may be how you and your colleagues identify/represent a contract, but your legal department/advisor will assure you that this is not a contract.

Please give us an example with details.

Perhaps it is just me, but my view is that you do not yet have the details to design a database. And, if you can't describe it clearly, NOBODY can build it.

Wow... I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I'm going to plug forward and keep trying though. Thank you for your input. Should I mark this thread as solved since we've deviated so far from the original question I had?

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I have asked some questions in post 15. You can mark the post solved if you think you have a solution.
    However, I recommend you try your best to answer the questions clearly.
    Also, I would ask that you provide some sample data, so that we can test any model and make sure the database design is correct.

I don't think you should be discouraged. You said you have a hard time describing what you are trying to do.
    I will help where I can, and I'm sure other readers will offer suggestions.

There may be someone who has understood clearly what you are trying to do and can answer your explicit question.

I still don't have a good feeling re your business, and I think you know much more about the business than anyone, and my intent is to help you get that info onto paper.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I took a look at what appears to be the latest available db version in this thread (post 15). Here are some observations & comments.

- on the main form, cboContract and TimeZone have invalid control sources; i.e. the field used in the property setting is not part of the form query
    - the subform query still brings back ALL records because there is no reference to any control on the form to act as criteria. So each time you'd expect a requery of the subform, you'll get ALL records anyway so how can you expect to see anything change?
    - the subform parent/child relationship has been set, but there is no control on the subform for that child field!
    - combo controls like Trip# cannot have record sources and row sources if you expect to use their list to change displayed records. In that state, the control is not editable because it is bound to the current record.
    - there is no event or macro to requery the subform even if the above was taken care of
    After fixing the above, I got it to work so it looks like you had most of the answers in post #7. I guess you have a decision to make regarding all the other posts in this thread; that is to say, decide on whether or not you have design issues and will address them, posting new questions as they arise, or simply apply the needed and already suggested fixes. Either way, you could probably mark this one as solved.
    Last edited by Micron; 07-06-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thank you orange and micron. I'm going to take what you wrote and work on the form. I'm heading into a busy week, so it may be awhile before I make any progress. Again, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CharissaBelle View Post
    I have a form with a subform and I can't see why the subform doesn't update when I change the Trip Number in the main form.
    I finally got my main form and subform to work together. I set the main form parent ID to the combobox which matches with the subform child ID.

So it seems the main issue was what I listed as my third bullet point (parent/child relationship and form control). You should consider if any of the other issues are relevant.
    Good luck!

Yes, thank you Micron. I have found a local Access mentor who is meeting with me and helping me now. I knew it was something with the parent/child relationship, I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. I tried a bunch of things to get it working without any luck. Then I sat down with that Access mentor guy and he had is solved in 10 seconds.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Nice when you can actually see the problem in front of you! Please mark your thread as solved if you haven't.
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.