evand is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Create a report that references 2 tables against each other & lists all results for a specific day

To start, let me say that I had no idea what Access was before last week. On Thursday, my boss at my internship asked me to create a database, so I started looking at online tutorials. This means that it is really easy to talk over my head on these things.

Here is my problem: I need to generate a report that reconciles records from two different tables. One is internal to the database, fed by a form, and it lists material movements as recorded by material handlers. The other is linked from Excel and is read only for the database. This table shows my system's material movement records. I need to compare the quantity moved on each table, while referencing both date and part number to ensure that it is the same movement. I have tried creating relationships, creating a new table, creating queries... I have no idea how to get this done and I don't know how to code.

Ideally, what I want to generate is a report that compares the two tables and will display part number, quantity reported by the material handler, quantity recorded in the system and the difference between the two. I also want it to flag if there is an entry for a date in one table but not the other. I have also been asked to note the quantities that we have on hand and allocated for orders and the difference between them, but that is all on the same table and I know how to reference that, for the most part.

I guess it boils down to a few main questions:

1. How do I make one report list several results based on date?

2. How do I create a report that references two tables contrasted against one another via both date and part number?

3. Can I do both of these and still include regular computed data off one of the tables?

Thank you in advance for all of your help. I got this assignment yesterday and they want it by the end of the week and I am mostly lost.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Link the excel file as a table,
    In a query join the 2 tbls on date,part.
    this query will show where they are equal.
    save as, to another query, make outer joins.
    1 outer join to show all records in the db table,to show what's missing in the excel file
    1 outer join to show all records in the excel file, to show what's missing in the db tbl.

thats 3 different queries,to show different things.

evand is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Would I also be able to link it by part number? There is an issue where in the database table each item is only entered one time with its total quantity, but the system can only record 250 pieces at a time. This means that if 1000 of a part is transferred, there are 4 entries for that date and part number in the system records table and only one in the manually entered one. I tried to get a query to sum the system records table by date and part number into a new table, but it did not want to cooperate.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.