Xterra14s is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Help coding a few things in a help desk like DB

Background: This database is being used as a ticket system to manage two other databases, currently, but could expand in the future. A help button will be placed in the other two databases that once it's clicked will open a form linked to the ticket system database where the end user will fill out all the information that is stored in the ticket system database.

First: Is it possible to have a field auto fill based on the file name? I have multiple Databases that will be used for this project. What I want is based on what ever database I'm using a form on a separate database will fill in with the name of that database based off of the file name.

Second: All of our databases are stored on one centralized server. If DB A is the ticket system and DB B is any of the other two. Is it possible to click a button on DB B and have it open the form from ticket system (DB A) where the user can fill out the form to open a ticket and have that ticket saved on DB A?

I can build databases but the coding always gets me. I appreciate all the help anyone can provide!

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    First question is: Are your databases split, i.e. do you have separate front-end and back-end? If not, then it is only a matter of time before you get corruption. Having multiple users in the same front-end (i.e. where the forms, queries are stored) on the network is never a good arrangement.

Is it possible to have a field auto fill based on the file name?
    You can use application.CurrentDb.Name to give you the name of the current database file, with the full path name.

Is it possible to click a button on DB B and have it open the form from ticket system (DB A) where the user can fill out the form to open a ticket and have that ticket saved on DB A?
    You can do this by establishing a link in DB B to the tables in DB A. Put a copy of the Ticket Entry form in DB B, and use the linked table from DB A as the form's record source. Data entered in that form is stored in DB A.

Xterra14s is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    First question is: Are your databases split, i.e. do you have separate front-end and back-end? If not, then it is only a matter of time before you get corruption. Having multiple users in the same front-end (i.e. where the forms, queries are stored) on the network is never a good arrangement.
    Currently it's not split, I do plan on splitting it with a front and back end eventually. Right now I'm just trying to get everything working properly. Is there a recommended way to split a database up with the front-end and back-end? I've read of it before but am not super familiar with it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.