taliorn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Last part to Training Database

I'm building a training database for work. It needs have up to 200 employees at a time. Right now I have been working on building the bones and structure to make sure it is useful and easy to update. I want my training tables to be separate but able to pull from each one for the different positions.

So I almost have it... I can click on the training for the different positions and see what is needed for that certain position. What I need though is too add when the training was performed for each employee.

For some reason I just can't get my head around the solution. Here is my relationship page and such. If you see any improvements I could do let me know and if you can give me a hint how to add the dates that would be great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relationships 3.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	25063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Training Prog.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	25064

In your tblEmployeeTraining add two fields
    TrainingID which is a foreign key linked to the tblTrainingPrograms
    and a date field for the inclusion of the date that training took place.

Not sure that you need to have four tables for the training unless there are different types of training for each of these categories. ie. Is there more than one type of training for One_Time_Training?

That would work if all the training happened at the some time. The problem is they may do some of the annual training at 2 or 3 times of the year. Basically depends on the flow of product through the plant.

I wanted the tblTrainingProgram table because there some employees that need 2 or 3 things from each table, others that only need one table, and some that need all the training.

I was using the 4 tables because for the most part people will only need 1 or 2 tables at most as they train so it I thought breaking them up would be easiest to update or change for future designers.

I could just set all the training in one table with a foreign key for the employee and track it that way. And just use queries for the individual positions but I need to set this up to be as idiot proof as possible so that I can train someone to maintain this with me gone.

So is there a way to create a query, table or something that turns the individual trainings into areas where I can give individual dates?

In other words I could do this and just create queries, reports or forms that separate the individual training needed for the position but I was trying to make it easier for the next person to come along and work on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	training pict.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	25067

I suggest you read this whitepaper on data normalization and make sure that you are normalized. http://sbuweb.tcu.edu/bjones/20263/a...sdb_design.pdf

I think it may be easier without the four tables if you can normalize your training table.

It would be easier for me to have them all on one table. But I'm only here for a few months and there is no one that is trained in databases on site.

I was hoping to put them in the different tables just to make it easier with minor instructions how to update and continue the training tracking or any changes that may happen.

I'll probably write it both ways before I'm done just to see how idiot proof both end up. I think if I can get this way to work though it is the way that is less likely to get broken 15 minutes after I leave.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.