ineuw is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

MS Access 2007 how to specify a default folder for import and export

In previous versions of MS Access, I was able to specify the path an folder in the settings and use that folder for export and import of data. In MS Access 2007, this defaults to My Documents. My working folder is four levels below the root and using the 'Save' of export or import specs would also include the filename which constantly changes, so this would not be a good the solution. Is there a way to specify the folder name somewhere?

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I think a little more information could be beneficial. How are you importing/exporting, macro or code.

I am importing and exporting delimited text manually. I am handy with VB and VBA, but can't justify the time and effort. The only place I see a path to be specified is at the beginning of the export or import definition. All of drive D:\ is the My Documents folder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails export specs.jpg   import specs.jpg  

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Ok, wasn't sure if you knew how to use the docmd.transfer method. you might try this page. i saw something on there about setting the path.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...tors-using-vba

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    The Get External Data tool remembers where your last navigation was to in v 2007, so I don't get why that doesn't help you, unless each import involves a different folder. Nor do I know what you mean by "in the settings". Settings where and for what? You can still set the default db folder, but I doubt that will help you much even if the files you want to import from are there also.

The import from file name is editable in the dialog if you're able to just get by doing that. If the file name has an easy to reference/change attribute such as "01" at the end, it should be an easy edit. Also, the specs are supposed to be held in two tables MSysIMEXSpecs and MSysIMexColumns. Even though I have an import spec in a test db and see all the other system tables, I cannot see those 2 even after closing and reopening. I tell you this because other methods involve vba to effect an import process; not sure if any of them pertain to changing the filename. You might want to investigate an update query to alter the file portion from a form and FilePicker Dialog if you can see those system tables.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Micron, my intent was not to confuse anyone, and your last reply touched on my problem, but you could not have been aware of it.

First of all, the forms (images of which I uploaded earlier), I know what they do, and are of no use for my exports and imports.

I was referring to the Access Options Default database folder, and apologize for calling it "Setup".

In previous versions, this default folder is where Access exported to or imported from my text files, and that is what not working for me in MSAccess 2007. As you can see from the attached image that I specified D:\wikis\Wikisource\PSM\working as the default folder, but when I export or import, it keeps pointing to the root folder D:\ (as shown in my previous previously uploaded images). How can I make Access automatically point to this default work folder for my exports and imports as it was "in the good old days?"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails default database folder.jpg  

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    As you have figured out, the default folder is where any new db will be stored. Gone, I think, what it is you pine for!
    The import dialog (for which you do not have to save the specification) will remember the folder where you last navigated to IF you select a file, click OK, then when the dialog to split the csv values comes up, Cancel if you don't actually want to finish the process. You have to get this far for it to be set. The next time you invoke the Get External Data tool from the ribbon, the last path will still be there. Apologies if that doesn't answer your question - it means I don't understand what you want (other than I too sometimes wish for the old ways...) Not sure why you say you're aware of what the folders (dialogs?) do yet say they're of no use for your imports/exports. That's exactly what they're for.
    So I think I answered the question Is there a way to specify the folder name somewhere? Yes - in the tool that is designed to do the export/import.

Many thanks Micron. You understood the issue perfectly and solved my problem. Should have realized that the input of the (partial) path is retained. Thanks again. (and will post another question later about another change from 2003).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.