Jessica240 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Network Issues Causing Front End Changes not to save to the Back End

Hello everyone. We have a back end and front end database. An employee spent many hours making changes to her front end data that was not saved to the back end. Yesterday is when she made the changes and today they are all gone.

She said that she kept getting an error message saying the connection to the server had been lost so she had to close the program and re-open.

When the connection drops, what happens to the data that is entered on the front end? Is it that the newly entered data on the front end never reaches the back end so it simply does not get saved?

If that is the case, what can we do to help prevent this from happening again?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Jessica

John_G is offline VIP
    If you have to close and restart Access, then any unsaved changes (from Access' point of view, not the user's) are gone. I don't know how often Access checks the network connection but it might not be on every table update request, so un-posted changes might accumulate (begind the scenes).

However, IMO it comes down to user education - if they start getting error messages like that, stop working in the database until they find out what they mean, and the problem has been resolved.

I've experienced the same thing - a user will say "I got an error message but I was able to keep working....". Right. And ask them what the error was and they have no idea.

Chair to keyboard interface failure.

Jessica240 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Thank you for the timely response. I agree with you entirely and will work to resolve our connection issue that is causing the error.

Have a great day.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I could be wrong, but queries are stored in the Microsoft Jet engine until they can be written. That engine has a cap of how many things it can hold before it just starts to overwrite itself.

Those error messages might be of use to you though. Try to recreate it, if that message pops up, start dumping to a temp table and change the form color so they know they are working in "Offline" mode. If it becomes a regular problem you can have a check for the temp table, if its there. Dump/Delete temp when they are connected. If that falls within your backend requirements that is.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.