Max2413 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Feedback after a record has been saved

Ladies and gentlemen,

New hear, and to access. I have a passion for computer science and the project I am working is my first real program to be used daily, heavily. I have built a database that does real time inventory management for a small snack bar I run at work. It works with a purchase form up on a small laptop at all times. This form has a lone text box that takes input from a scanner that performs a carriage return after each entry, and with that I use the On Enter event to go to a new record, log the time and date of the item removed, the ID (bar code), and the description of what it was.

That portion works great. BUT, I didn't anticipate that all the people would want feedback that their scan went through (It did, it works, but the scanner enters the code, creates and saves a new record, and clears the text box instantly). SO... I have been trying a few ideas and cannot get any of them to work.

My hope:
    Maybe you have seen this problem before and/or have an idea for feedback.
    OR
    You can help me at least get my idea of feedback to work.

SO, my idea was to simply create a new form with the fields from my current sales table that always goes to the last record (I use this method with my "Delete Last Scan" button) but instead use this new form for reference only to show the last scan on the current form. It would need to update after each scan, and that is where I am stuck. Nothing I have tried has worked.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never used scanners - but think of the checkout at a supermarket or other store - when the cashier scans a code, the scanner beeps to let them know it captured the code successfully. Are you able to implement the same thing, since almost everyone will know how it works?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    What you're asking, in essence, is whether or not the Current Record is being saved. The Form_BeforeUpdate event executes just prior to a Record being saved, so something like this:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
     MsgBox "Scan Successful!"
    End Sub

will advise them when it's saved.

Or, following John_G's suggestion

Code:
    Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
      Beep
      Beep
    End Sub

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Max2413 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you both! The scanner beeps automatically, however because there is a computer screen there they expect to see something more I guess.

In regards to your suggestion missingling, I feel dumb, I hadn't even thought to look into a wait function in vba. I will probably roll with a random response generator (so that even with quick scans the message will change with the scan) and work out a good wait function.

Again, thank you guys!
    Max

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.