adillpickle is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Conditional Formatting Rules in Access 2010

I am in the process of applying conditional formatting to a list of names in an Access form so that - when their name is selected - it highlights the cell in a particular color. I currently have 60 names, but conditional formatting only allows for 50 different rules for one cell.

Is there a way to increase the number of conditional formatting rules allowed for a single cell in a Access form?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Can you explain a little more of exactly what your Form looks like, what exactly your rules looks like, and what you are trying to accomplish?
    Typically, with Conditional Formatting, you don't create rules explicitly for each different field value option (what if more get added down the road)? You typically try to create something a little bit more dynamic.

If we get a better feel for what you are trying to accomplish, we may be able to suggest alternatives.

Thank you for your reply, Joe. In the form I created, I have a field for the last name of doctors. It is associated with a table that contains their names. Whenever their name is selected, I am using conditional formatting to turn that field a designated color in the form. The reason for this is because the form is displayed on a large monitor so that they can quickly see their assignments by using visual management. So the rule is Field Value Is equal to "Smith". There may be a better way to handle my situation than what I am attempting.

JoeM is offline VIP
    You should have Conditional Formatting refer to the field name on the Form to get the value (i.e. the doctor's last name), and use that in your Conditional Formatting formula, instead of explicitly writing a separate condition for each doctor's last name. Then you only need one Conditional Formatting rule, instead of one for each doctor.

Great idea. How would that look in writing the rule?

Thank you, Joe. I figured it out. It works like a charm. Appreciate your help.

Here's what I did. I have tables that include the doctors and the color associated with them. My expression is [doctors]![doctors]=[doctorsgreen]![doctorsgreen]

JoeM is offline VIP
    OK, let's say that you have a Text Box that you are entering the last name into and it is called "TextBox10".
    If you wanted to highlight a field named "LastName" if the Last Name matches what you put in your Text Box, use the "Expression is" option under Conditional Formatting and enter the following formula:
    Code:
    [TextBox10]=[LastName]
    and apply your Conditional Formatting color option.

Edit: Didn't see your last post. Glad you figured it out!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.