johnmagu is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Exclamation Need To Understand MS Access Across A Network

I dont' fully understand how MS Access runs across a network.

I have built a database for multi users that runs great from a Server ( i.e. all tables, forms, reports, data, queries are on the server). It is currently only 20mb of data. We have recently acquired a remote site to which the network is somewhat slower and the database performance on the computer screen there is a little slower than on other parts of our company where there is more bandwith and the response is almost immediate. A colleague insists on archiving lots of data and tampering with indexes, required fields and relationships as he thinks this will improve performance on the remote site.

I'm pretty sure his approach will speed operations up just a tad on the server as there is less records to process and there is less overall work to do with indexing etc ............... but that this really will only have minimal impact.

For a long time now I'm trying to get my head around how access works in this situation -
    The program works on the server and somehow sends an image to the desktop on the remote location - This must be as the desktop at the remote location does not have MS Access installed and still runs.(It could have a program that runs an MDB app but is not the full blown acces - sorry not on the remote site to be able to check) If this is true then doing what my colleague suggests will have almost nil impact as its the image that coming across the network not data, tables, queries, forms, reports and so on?

Note : I do understand that I could put the front end on the desktop and have only the data on the server but for local potilitical / cost / administration / user reasons this is not an alternative at this point. In any event I am really trying to see in my mind what gets sent across the network as it's an issue that's so poorly documented for this exact situation.

Would kindly appreciate your enlightment.

You really should read this...

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/split/index.htm

You will probably encounter database corruption if you continue to not split your database.

Regards,

Richard

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks Richard - I appreciate your quick reply and have read the info on the link you provided.

I understand what the guy in the article says although I dont' necessarily agree with him. I have built MS Database Applications with both split and not split scenarios and found that in my particular instance not splitting has often been my favoured option as there is so much hassle installing and reconnecting split databases after we do program (FE) changes which are relatively common - have to send the FE to each user - go install it yourself or get them to - then you can't find them or they are away on leave and you can't access their machine etc. etc. etc. In our situation it is easier if you can get away with having the whole thing on the server.

The above withstanding I still don't understand the following - when you have the database resident on the server and you click on it to run it from your remote desktop - does the program run on the server or does it run your desktop? If it runs on the server what does it send to your desktop? If it runs on the desktop then I understand it will have to send the forms, tables, queries etc etc over the network and that would me most inefficient and the database should be spilt.

Thanks again - if you or anyone can see what I'm trying to find out here I'd appreciate a reply. (That article although quite good didn't really cover my question above)

Cheers

John

Hi John,

When you have a multi-user database that is not split conventional wisdom says you are inviting corruption. I could site more sources if you like. I can tell you that Tony Towes has a application that will automate deploying Front Ends. There are many techniques to deployment of front ends. Another side benefit of splitting is you can compile the front end. When the front end is compiled into a MDE it not only runs faster but it also keeps your code safe.

http://autofeupdater.com/

Regards,

Richard

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Richard,

Really appreciate your interest and taking time to reply. While I accept that splitting the database is overall the best thing to do the real question and issue is that I dont' understand what happens "If it runs on the server what does it send to your desktop?" - I am trying to understand the process.

Once again thank you kindly for your interest.

Regards

John

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Presuming by "remote desktop" you mean a PC on the network, Access is running on your PC, not the server. All objects would have to be transferred across the network. This is one reason the recommendation is a split application with the front end on the user PC.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003
    pbaldy,

Thank you. Yes I mean a PC. I'm beginning to understand. However some remote users tell me over the phone they have not got Acess Installed. From your answer it would imply that if they don't have Access they must at least have a some runtime version somewhere on their machines to allow them to run the ms applications - would you agreee?

Thank you.

johnmagu

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, they would need either the full or runtime version of Access installed. If they are offsite (not on the network), an alternative is to use Terminal Services/Citrix or Remote Desktop to have them log into a machine on the network. In that instance, Access would be running on the machine they remote into, not their PC.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003
    pbaldy,

Thank you - I understand - the bit I wasn't getting and couldn't really know as I have no access to the remote computers is that they must have the "runtime version" installed somewhere on their computer and that although the application is resident on the server it still needs to be sent 100% over the network to the remote desktop pc. I thought that somehow it must be running on the server and perhaps just sending an image of the various screens to the remote PC.

Thanks to you and Richard for your time, patience and imput.

Cheers

johnmagu

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.