LeslieMB is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question Tracking Continuing Education Funds

I have been dragging my company very slowly into the 21st century, and have recently transferred our employee contact list from a big, messy, terribly designed Excel spreadsheet into a pretty, shiny, easy to use Access database.

I'd like to add continuing education funds tracking to this database, but I'm not sure if it's possible, or how to go about doing it. It's currently tracked manually on paper, which means that none of our remote managers can access the information.

This is how it works:

New full time employees get $300 per year after ninety days of employment. Regardless of how much they use in a year, that number re-sets to $300 on their anniversary date, until their 3rd anniversary, when it increases to $500. Part time employees are the same, just cut the funds in half.

For example, Jimmy was hired as a full time worker on 3/1/2012. On 5/30/2012 he gets $300 to spend towards continuing education. He spends $110 to renew his license in October, which leaves him $190. He pays the $90 fee for a mandatory online ethics class, which leaves him $100, but he doesn't use it before 3/1/2013, so he has $300 again. On 3/1/2015, he gets $500.

I am VERY new to Access, but I'm the only one in the company who has an inkling of how to use the software.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Probably 99.95% true that if you can imagine it, it can be done. How to handle it depends on your business policy, of which all factors should be considered. For example, if a new employee were to fall ill and miss a month, would you grant the full allocation anyway? Regardless of those factors, one thing that is pretty much cast in stone is that all calculations should be handled by forms, queries or reports. No calculations should be stored, and that's pretty much a universal stipulation wrt databases.

So when your CE funds form opens, you'd have all the necessary underlying data loaded into it, then unbound textboxes would do the calculations. Perhaps there would need to be a manager approval option, in which case your table would need a yes/no field to flag approvals before the form textboxes start doing the math. One of the decisions is, do you use queries to perform some or all of the calculations, and base the form on the final query, or do you do form level calculations based on the displayed records? If you want to see all the transactions, I'd do the latter. If all you want is a summary, the former. So you have some decisions to make AFAIC. If you are well versed in database normalization and adept with queries and tables, you might be able to build something with a bit of coaxing here. If not, more information might be needed from you regarding your tables and relationships, because if they're not right, it can make things much more difficult to achieve - sometimes impossible. It would also be wise for you to do some research on normalization as well as naming conventions and reserved words to get you off on the right foot. A bit of learning on these subjects can save you a TON of headaches later on.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Leslie, i'll agree with Micron 100%. Coming from someone that 8 months ago had never heard of access or even realized the number of databases that i worked with in my daily job, almost anything is possible from simple to put together to complicated pieces of what i like to call art. i personally started with a simple database to track one thing and from there the people i work with liked the ease of it so much compared to working with excel documents that they kept asking for new things. your only limit is whether you have the available time to learn how to do what you are imagining but for the most part what you are describing is fairly simple if you do as Micron suggest and do a little base research on things like normalization. i would suggest using the vast knowledge here and on the web such as these
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    http://www.allenbrowne.com/
    http://www.baldyweb.com/index.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ProgrammingMadeEZ/featured

these are generally my first places to look for answers and education.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I also agree with Micron. I would add the following to the list provided by vicsaccess.

8 part Database and modelling series by Dr Daniel Soper starts here.
    Multi-part Access programming by Steve Bishop starts here

LeslieMB is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I'll take a look at these resources and see what I can come up with.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.