Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rick_S is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Adding new reports to an existing report

I have a report consisting of many reports, each with multiple columns of information from tables. I needed to add 5 new reports, so I copied and pasted an existing report but cannot get the control source to change. The field box does not contain information to drag to the source control area. Have tried renaming the source controls, but that didn't work. How can I get these copied and pasted reports to reflect the correct control source?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Do the new reports have the correct RecordSource?

Rick_S is offline Novice
    No, I believe I am confusing control source with recordsource. If recordsource is the root of the data, then no, it is not showing up in may list box.

Every Report has a Record Source and it can be found on the Data Tab of the Property sheet for the Report. Controls are *on* Forms and Reports and have Control Sources.

Rick_S is offline Novice
    The copied report data tab of the property sheet has the record source same as the one that was copied. Can't update this to be for the new report.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_S View Post
    I have a report consisting of many reports, each with multiple columns of information from tables. I needed to add 5 new reports, so I copied and pasted an existing report but cannot get the control source to change. The field box does not contain information to drag to the source control area. Have tried renaming the source controls, but that didn't work. How can I get these copied and pasted reports to reflect the correct control source?
    I guess I'll have to ask how you copied and pasted the additional reports? Do you have your "reports" all in one report? I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused (not all that uncommon these days.)

Rick_S is offline Novice
    In the navigation pane, I have a list of 35 individual reports (they represent a different monitoring location). I took one report, representative of the new monitoring locations, copied and pasted it 5 times for the new monitoring locations ( 1 for each new location). I want to use the same report layout for all locations. Now am trying to associate these new reports to their own record source. (each report covers 13 individual test results in columns; however they are all for the same monitoring location.) The information used to compile the reports comes from two different tables. The new well information has been added to the tables, but doesn't show up on the field list. Hope this clears up some things.

So are you saying that when you open each of these "new" reports in design view it will not let you change the Record Source?

Rick_S is offline Novice
    Yes, it will not let me change the Record Source. I have tried to change the Record Source by over typing the information in the Record Source, but received an error and could not
    get a report print to show. It keeps telling me that This control has an invalid control source.

Okay, time to eliminate potential corruption. Create a new blank db and then *IMPORT* everything from your previous db into the new db. It only takes a minute or so. See if the problem follows the import.

Rick_S is offline Novice
    The problem followed the import

Have you done a Compact and Repair yet? Do so if not.

Rick_S is offline Novice
    I took a different approach this morning. I made the new tables using report wizard, one table at a time. Then opened a new report, pulled the information to the bottom of the page in design view, copied an old report and pasted it into the new report design view, pressed f4 to bring in the property box and went to data tab. From there I highlighted a record source cell, went to the data tab, used the down arrow to find the new record source, double clicked the new record source and the cell changed in the report.
    Repeated for each cell that needed changed. Erased the cells created with the new table that was pulled down previously and the report was just what I was looking for. I originally thought that a report could be just copied and (though the new information was in both tables and queries) I could just change information in the record source and query relationship and the record source would automatically change. The problem was the property box never showed the new records (probably because they were never created until the new reports were generated by report wizard). If you know a way to bypass making a new report from wizard, I would appreciate knowing. I do appreciate your help! Thank you for all the help you have shown!

Why would you not just select your report from the Nav Pane and right click and Copy; then right click again and Paste?

Rick_S is offline Novice
    That is how I started and could not find any way to reference to the newly added data in-order-to change the record source in the data tab. The information I needed just wasn't there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.