Brian_S is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Data Entry to Multiple Records

I am building a database but struggling to enter a row of data into multiple records e.g. I have selected several members of a cycling club who have completed a ride. I now need to enter the details of the ride: [DateOfRide],[TypeOfRide],[DistanceOfRide],[DestinationOfRide]. I really only want to write the details of the ride once but how I get that one entry into the many peoples records defeats me. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If you already have part of each record, all you have to do is create an Update query that uses the right criteria to select the records you want. Likely the criteria is WHERE someField = NULL or it may be a combination of two or more parameters. If you do not have any of the record fields populated yet, you need an append query. How you set this up depends on if you have created your tables correctly (they are normalized) i.e. members are in one table and ride info is in another. In that case, you would update the ride table with the member id (not by repeating the member names). You can test a query by switching from design to datasheet view. Note that when updating, you will see blank rows if there is nothing in the fields being updated, else you will see the data that will be updated. The 'best' method for updating tables is by using a form.
    Last edited by Micron; 01-21-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added populated
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.