Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TaffyO is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Speeding up a query that is currently running a dateadd calculation

Hi guys, found the answers I was looking for on the forum many times, but now time for a first post.

I have a database for a watersports company. One query works out which courses are running today for a display it outputs. It works fine for the start date alone but runs very slowly when I use the number of days added to the start date to find out if we are still running a course (as in this is day three of a four day course.)

SELECT [Courses Running].[Course Reference], [Courses Running].[Start Date], [Course Listing].[Duration (Days)], CDate(DateAdd("d",[Duration (Days)]-1,[Start Date])) AS FinishDate, [Course Listing].Course

WHERE ((([Courses Running].[Start Date])<=Date()) AND ((CDate(DateAdd("d",[Duration (Days)]-1,[Start Date])))>=Date()))
    This does work very well - but very slowly as I guess it must be running a dateadd calculation on every line. Any suggestions for making this more efficient?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How many records are involved? I have never known DateAdd to cause significant performance issue.

Where is the rest of the SQL statement? Oh well, probably not important.

Should not need the CDate() function. Day unit is default for adding/subtracting with date so don't really need DateAdd() function. So see if this is faster:

WHERE Date() BETWEEN [Start Date] AND [Start Date] + [Duration (Days)] - 1
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    There must be a few hundred records by now. It's on an external SQL server as opposed to a local table which probably accounts for the difference.

I will give that a try now.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    That worked instantly but returned none of the records it was previously.

The full query now reads

SELECT [Courses Running].[Course Reference], [Courses Running].[Start Date], [Course Listing].[Duration (Days)], CDate(DateAdd("d",[Duration (Days)]-1,[Start Date])) AS FinishDate, [Course Listing].CourseFROM [Courses Running] INNER JOIN [Course Listing] ON [Courses Running].[Course Type] = [Course Listing].ID
    WHERE Date() BETWEEN [Start Date] AND [Start Date] + [Duration (Days)] - 1
    ORDER BY [Courses Running].[Start Date] DESC;

June7 is offline VIP
    Only a few hundred records? Really don't want to know how slow a few hundred thousand records would be!

Don't know why. Provide sample raw data. If you want to provide db, follow instructions at bottom of my post. Would have to import records into a local table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    Cool, so two table are relevant, "course listing" which lists the details of that generic course (duration, course title, cost etc) then the other table "courses running" provides specific information about the course (instructor, start date, time, notes etc.) Example data below

Course Reference Title Start Date Time Max Wind Force Notes Reminder Filler Post course Cancelled Course Type Instructor
    30/03/2016 09:00:00
    James booked from cancelled September course.

39 17
    04/04/2016 09:00:00

51 68

ID Further Info Three Letter Code Number of spaces Break Even Price VAT Duration (Hours) Course Sport Duration (Days) Active Course
    41 http://colwynbaywatersports.co.uk/pre-course-information/wta/ WTA 10 3 15 0 2 Windsurfing Taster 10 1 0
    40 http://colwynbaywatersports.co.uk/pre-course-information/wsw/ WSW 6 2 150 0 16 RYA Start Windsurfing 11 2 0
    39 http://colwynbaywatersports.co.uk/pre-course-information/wsi/ WSI 8 5 280 0 40 RYA Windsurfing Start Instructor 3 5 -1

(Course type in the first table is the ID in the second)

June7 is offline VIP
    What are table names?

ID field in bottom table is primary key field? It is saved as foreign key in Course Reference field of top table?

Your date values as displayed do not follow U.S./Access norm of mm/dd/yyyy. If you use international date structure, review: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html

So you might need some function to manipulate date values - either your data or the system date.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What are table names?

ID field in bottom table is primary key field? It is saved as foreign key in Course Reference field of top table?

Your date values as displayed do not follow U.S./Access norm of mm/dd/yyyy. If you use international date structure, review: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html

So you might need some function to manipulate date values - either your data or the system date.
    ID is the primary key field, and is indexed as a foreign key on the server. It has indeed proved a pain using UK dates in access - you often have to convert back and forward to fix things. I will try messing with the date format now that I am not using dateadd that might well be the problem.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    So further fiddling around reveals that the following

SELECT [Courses Running].[Course Reference], [Courses Running].[Start Date], [Course Listing].[Duration (Days)], [Start Date]+[Duration (Days)]-1 AS FinishDate, [Course Listing].CourseFROM [Courses Running] INNER JOIN [Course Listing] ON [Courses Running].[Course Type] = [Course Listing].ID
    WHERE ((([Courses Running].[Start Date])<=Date()) AND (([Start Date]+[Duration (Days)]-1)>=Date()))
    ORDER BY [Courses Running].[Start Date] DESC;
    Works very well in terms of speed, however, the second where condition is not working - it's listing all future courses as well. If I add the cdate function to that it then works very well but goes back to working very slowly. Any variation on your suggestion, June7, seems to do the same - works quickly but then the conditionals don't work. You've definitely worked out the root cause - it's a date time issue for sure. As soon as I edit the start date though the system stops handling it as a date but then fixing that has huge performance problems.

June7 is offline VIP
    Then I suppose converting all date values to a string with Format() and doing string comparison will also have performance issues.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    I hadn't really considered that. Can you elaborate on what you are suggesting? It's definitely the cdate function that's causing all the problems (works slowly with it, doesn't work without it,) so any way around this would be great.

June7 is offline VIP
    See Allen Browne's article about using Format() function with international date.

If you use Format() on both your data and the system date to produce strings with U.S. structure: mmddyyy (eg. 12312015, 04072014), maybe the conditional will work and performance won't be impaired. I do have my doubts. Aside from the speed issue caused by conversion, string comparisons are supposed to be slower than number comparisons. A date is really a number value.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    Ah right - so it does make it slightly quicker - but it's still very slow. It was 6 seconds as opposed to 8. As no course is longer than a few days (I think the longest is five days) do you think it would be possible write it in a way that filters by say within ten days of the date before running the calculation?

June7 is offline VIP
    What calculation - FinishDate?

How would filtering for 10 day period be any different in performance than the filtering you are now doing? But try it. Remove the calculation from the SELECT clause. Apply your revised filter. Is it faster?

If so, build report based on that query and do the FinishDate calc in textbox.

TaffyO is offline Novice
    Sorry you are definitely right - - I am grabbing at straws. I am just struggling to understand how a filter based on the date alone is very quick and a filter based on a very simple calculation of that date is so slow. Especially as it's not the calculation that is the slow bit - just converting back into a date/time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.