Nono215 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Upload to a file share (Attachments)

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I like the way Access handles file attachments... I like the interface (The little Paper Clip)... The problem is I would hit the 2 Gb limit pretty quick by storing files in the database. Even if i was to add another database that simply held the attachment field and linked them... I would hit the 2gb limit...

Is there an easy way to have a similar interface... where users can store multiple file for each record... It would store the data on a network share and not in the database.. ie.. \\servername\sharename

So if a user was viewing a table and clicks the paper clip to attach a file... is there a way to redirect to a server share instead of inside the database?

Any information, youtube videos or links would be greatly appreciated.... I would even pay for a plugin if one existed..

I'm ok with access from a GUI standpoint, but I do not know vb or any languages..

Thank you for taking the time....

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Don't use Attachment field. Use a text field that stores file path/name string. Or at least the file name and then construct the full path with expression. Or use Hyperlink type field.

If you want multiple files then use a related dependent table with a record for each file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks... I guess i have a lot to think about. I will take your advice. I will probably have a list of records. When a record is clicked I can pop up a form... and on that form have a tab called attachments. I just have to figure out a way to:

- Add a browse button
    - Have that file copied to a share
    - Have the path added as a record in link form

I wish Microsoft would add new features to Access. It seems like they just keep re-skinning it. I guess if they made it better it would eat into their SQL profits a little bit.

June7 is online now VIP
    - What do you mean by 'browse' - open the windows Explorer or FileDialog?

- I don't know about copy to a 'share' but Access has a FileCopy() function.

- Depends whether you want a Hyperlink or simple Text field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I have attached a picture with details.

Basically I want to overcome the Access 2gb limit by storing files on my network instead of my db.

The DB would contain a pointer to the actual file on my network share.

This pointer could be a Text or Hyperlink field... either would work for me. (If it was a text field... I could just add a button next to it that could launch the file.)

See the notes in the picture...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adb.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	23382

June7 is online now VIP
    Hyperlink field has its own 'navigation' dialog. Experiment with it. What do you think?

Probably have more flexibility if you use a text field to store file/path name and then use FollowHyperlink() function to open the object. Code can manipulate Windows FileDialog to allow user to navigate to and select file. This allows VBA to 'capture' that file name to store in record and also copy the file with FileCopy() function. However, there can be issues related to folder permissions when programmatically copying files.

Review:
    http://www.allenbrowne.com/casu-09.html
    http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html

All fairly common topics in forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.