saikat_datta is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

designing a query

Hi sir,

i am new in access.
    MY PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWS.

I HAVE A TABLE <Table1> with 10 columns. These are primaryID, Name, Adress, Age, appeaed, dd, ss, gg, hh, yy.

Now some field may not have any values. Like For the name John the field <ss> will not hold any value. Same is for RONY as <ss> does not hold any value.

i want to design the query to fetch all except the fields primaryID, address and age for all the 12 records but with two criteria.
    first - the name has to be RONY.
    second - any column with null values for all the 12 entries will not be shown in result.
    Ex. the field <hh> is null for all the 10 entries i have entered.

please help

regards.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You cannot easily choose which columns to include based on whether or not they hold any particular (or lack of a) value. To even want to do this suggests your table(s) is/are not structured properly. You can eliminate any rows where a field is NULL (does not have data), but it eliminates the entire row, not just some of the fields (as you say, column). If you are imagining this with a 'spreadsheet' bias or paradigm, it is the wrong approach. Perhaps you should post more data so we can see what you're dealing with. If you can create some fake data in a spreadsheet that looks like your table data, copy and paste it into your next post and it should simplify creating a table in your post. Otherwise please do so manually so we're not guessing at what you have.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

saikat_datta is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    PrimariID Name Address Age Appeard in Job ddrram sdram hdd mouse keyboard
    1 Rony eretetert 34 yes 1 0 1 0 0
    2 Rony eretetert 34 yes 0 0 1 0 0
    3 Roxy aabbccdd 26 yes 0 0 0 1 0
    4 Shyam dddddd 45 yes 1 0 1 0 0
    5 Biny fffffff 21 yes 0 0 0 1 0
    6 Shyam dddddd 45 yes 1 0 1 1 0
    This is kind a example of my table. I want to select records for a person but only want to display the fields which will not having 0 as values . Like if select Shyam it should return
    PrimariID Name Address Age Appeard in Job ddrram hdd mouse
    4 Shyam dddddd 45 yes 1 1 0
    6 Shyam dddddd 45 yes 1 1 1
    Is it Possible?

Regards

Should I assume you made a typo for record 4 (there is one field with a zero)? I cannot see how this could ever be done in one step, since as I mentioned, you cannot exclude a field based on its data or lack thereof. Perhaps someone else will correct me on that. Try this:
    Go to sql view of a new query and paste this then save as "qrySomeFields2"
    Code:
    SELECT tblSomeFields.ID, tblSomeFields.Name, tblSomeFields.Address, tblSomeFields.Age, tblSomeFields.ddrram AS TypeQty, "ddrram" AS TypeFld FROM tblSomeFields WHERE (((tblSomeFields.Name)="Shyam") AND ((tblSomeFields.ddrram)<>0))
    UNION ALL SELECT tblSomeFields.ID, tblSomeFields.Name, tblSomeFields.Address, tblSomeFields.Age, tblSomeFields.sdram AS TypeQty, "sdram" AS TypeFld FROM tblSomeFields WHERE (((tblSomeFields.Name)="Shyam") AND ((tblSomeFields.sdram)<>0))
    UNION ALL SELECT tblSomeFields.ID, tblSomeFields.Name, tblSomeFields.Address, tblSomeFields.Age, tblSomeFields.hdd AS TypeQty, "hdd" AS TypeFld FROM tblSomeFields WHERE (((tblSomeFields.Name)="Shyam") AND ((tblSomeFields.hdd)<>0))
    UNION ALL SELECT tblSomeFields.ID, tblSomeFields.Name, tblSomeFields.Address, tblSomeFields.Age, tblSomeFields.mouse AS TypeQty, "mouse" AS TypeFld FROM tblSomeFields WHERE (((tblSomeFields.Name)="Shyam") AND ((tblSomeFields.mouse)<>0))
    UNION ALL SELECT tblSomeFields.ID, tblSomeFields.Name, tblSomeFields.Address, tblSomeFields.Age, tblSomeFields.keyboard AS TypeQty, "keyboard" AS TypeFld FROM tblSomeFields WHERE (((tblSomeFields.Name)="Shyam") AND ((tblSomeFields.keyboard)<>0));
    Do the same for a new query, paste and save as "qrySomeFieldsCrossTab"
    Code:
    TRANSFORM Count(qrySomeFields2.[TypeQty]) AS CountOfTypeQty
    SELECT qrySomeFields2.[ID], qrySomeFields2.[Name], qrySomeFields2.[Address], qrySomeFields2.[Age] 
    FROM qrySomeFields2
    GROUP BY qrySomeFields2.[ID], qrySomeFields2.[Name], qrySomeFields2.[Address], qrySomeFields2.Age 
    PIVOT qrySomeFields2.[TypeFld];
    I think this will work regardless of which fields are returned when you supply a name as criteria. However, I cannot eliminate the "mouse" column because there IS a value related to the name, using the data you supplied.
    ID Name Address Age ddrram hdd mouse
    4 Shyam dddddd 45 1 1
    6 Shyam dddddd 45 1 1 1
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Fields cannot be dynamic in regular SELECT query object, unless you want to write VBA to modify object - a field is in the query or it isn't. CROSSTAB query is entirely different animal. It is not easy to build a form or report based on CROSSTAB because of the dynamic nature of fields. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-67.html#ColHead
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

True. Which is why the proposed solution puts the field names in one column with their corresponding value in another column. The crosstab can transpose the field name as a header and put the corresponding value below that field name. Not sure how well it would work beyond the limited data example provided, but the result I posted is based on it. I'm assuming that putting the field names in one column makes the variation of field names dynamic, so they are in if the initial UNION query returns them. If not, then different fields are returned as long as there are values returned using the criteria.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, I understand the approach to resolve OP issue, just wanted them to be aware of other issues they may encounter with the CROSSTAB.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.