dniezby is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Send SMS from Access

Okay, so here is the deal.

I have a table where I collect a person's phone number.
    I also have a separate table where I have stored all the mobile phone carrier email addresses (@txt.att.net)

When a user enters a phone number, we look up the phone number to see who the carrier is and select it. (anyone know how I could do that automatically?)

Anyway, what I want a user to do is put a button on a form that a user could simply click , open ANOTHER pop-up form type a message then email the message....Now that I realize it, I'm going to have to create an email account table to gather the SMTP and POP information.

BEFORE the email goes out though, I want to add an entry to the contact's activity log table.

SO...

What I'm asking is, what do "you" think is the best way to accomplish this?

BTW, I've already created a query that joins the fields.

Code:
    SELECT contact.PrimaryPhone, MobileCarriers.CarrierSMSemail, [PrimaryPHone] & [CarrierSMSemail] AS SMSeMail
    FROM MobileCarriers INNER JOIN contact ON MobileCarriers.ID = contact.carrierID;
    RESULT example is 3121234567@txt.att.com

Thanks in advance.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Either execute an append query or use the AddNew method of a recordset
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How do you currently do the 'lookup'? What about a phone number would identify the carrier - 3-digit prefix? Lookup can be done with DLookup() domain aggregate.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    How do you currently do the 'lookup'? What about a phone number would identify the carrier - 3-digit prefix? Lookup can be done with DLookup() domain aggregate.
    Which lookup?

The lookup for the phone number's carrier? That's currently done manually and then we just select the carrier...

June7 is online now VIP
    What do you mean by manually - from a book? Or do you open the Find & Replace dialog to search table? How does a phone number connect to carrier?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    What do you mean by manually - from a book? Or do you open the Find & Replace dialog to search table? How does a phone number connect to carrier?
    No we literally go to a carrier lookup website, enter the number and it returns with the carrier name or whether or not it's a land line or not. I could tie into their API and have it done automatically but then there would be fees to my end user. Don't want that.

June7 is online now VIP
    It is possible to use VBA to open a webpage and pass a value to an input box in the page. I do that and no API is involved. Review https://www.accessforums.net/program...-ie-28232.html

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It is possible to use VBA to open a webpage and pass a value to an input box in the page. I do that and no API is involved. Review https://www.accessforums.net/program...-ie-28232.html
    Hmm. Interesting. I didn't even think to do that. Great idea. I'll look into it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.