SepieSmith is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

appending record ID numbers from PK table to the related FK in another table

Hey, sorry for the not-so-clear title! I'm pretty new to access although I understand things pretty fast.
    I'm trying to amend a mess in my employer's dB (Insurance agency) Here's my problem:
    Table 1 holds the PolicyNum which was created as the Primary key. This table is connected to Table 2 which holds additional insured persons in that policy.

I want to add an ID field for table 1 (to be used as PK instead of the PolicyNum) and relate it to a new foreign key field I will create in table 2 (currently the FK in Table 2 is the PolicyNum of course).

Problem: If I change the PK on table 1 Access won't automatically copy the PK values to the new FK field in table 2.

I tried every kind of query I know - but I wasn't able to do it. Here's the gist of what I gotta do:

Table1
    ID(PK) PolicyNum
    01 15123456789101113
    02 15123456789101114

03 15123456789101115

Table2
    Policy_ID(FK) PolicyNum
    ?? 15123456789101113
    ?? 15123456789101114
    ?? 15123456789101115

how can I get Access to return/copy the value in the ID field in Table1 - onto the Policy_ID field in Table2 at the appropriate row (with same PolicyNum)?

your help will be very VERY appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Usually I don't ask why, but in this case, I see absolutely no gain for the work, and suspect it will not solve whatever problem it is you think you have. Based on the limited information, the data in your second table should probably look like this (assuming 2 to 3 additional persons covered under the policy).
    Table2
    Policy_ID(F'PolicyNum Addl_Ins
    15123456789101113 Mary
    15123456789101113 John
    15123456789101114 Peter
    15123456789101114 David
    15123456789101114 George
    15123456789101115 Frank
    15123456789101115 Mary

If you're bent on doing this anyway, create the ID (as an autonumber?) and PolicyID fields. If not an auto id, then create the unique row ids, then run an update query against the second table, updating the PolicyID field to equal the ID field where policy# equals policy#. Again, I see no value in this based on your posted info. ALWAYS test suggestions on copies of your tables first.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Perhaps the gain will be more efficient search/sort with the autonumber PK. This might make a difference in a very large db, but if this is fairly small, the gain will likely not be noticeable.

As micron suggests, run an UPDATE action by linking on the existing Policy_ID fields.

What is the relationship of these tables - 1 to many as described by micron?

Once all is good, the Policy_ID field in Table2 can be deleted.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Once all is good, the Policy_ID field in Table2 can be deleted.
    A good point in support of normalization, but issues can arise if queries or any record/row sources will be looking for that field. They'd all have to be modified. More work but as for what end, I don't know yet.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    Yep, changing PK/FK is not a simple task in a fully developed and working db. Is the effort worth it? Only OP knows. Why do you feel the current design is a 'mess'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    sepiesmith,

As the others have mentioned, I also would like to know more about your requirement. Is there a specific issue/problem that is driving this decision?
    Backup! Backup! and test on a copy of the database if you do proceed. Document your steps.
    Good luck.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Guys thank you so much for all the replies!

To address your concern about the gain of the change - I'll just point out that this dB was NOT created by a professional (seems like CEO wanted to save a few bucks and go for Access instead of a Server-Client SQL dB...) and the fact is that the PolicyNum field is in fact a short text field and NOT a number field (!!!) - I have not a clue why, but that's how it is... I tried resetting the field type to a number (decimal) only to discover that the policy numbers were not entered in a consistent manner (sometimes there were "/"s and extra "0"s which was possible because the field length was set to 255 char...) that settings allowed for duplicate policy numbers to be entered (e.g same numbers and a slash in the middle...). Changing the PK and FK for the policies is the first step to trying to amend this dB. My next move would be to try and clean the data in the PolicyNum field... So stay tuned! :-)

You've been very helpful! I'm gonna try Micron's idea and update!
    Thanks everyone!

June7 is online now VIP
    Alarms are blaring!!! Do you mean the numbers are almost duplicates, maybe varied only by the inclusion of an additional character? In which case the numbers are not really duplicates. What you need to do first is identify the dependent records associated with these 'duplicates' and edit them for whichever version of the 'duplicate' you want to use. Then run the UPDATE action for the new PK/FK if you still want to switch over.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    hmm.. never thought about doing it in this order...
    Let me just make sure we mean the same thing -
    I have a policy number that looks like this 123/45/67 with say 3 dependent records.
    I also have a policy number that looks like this- 1234567 with or without the dependent records...
    If I try to remove the /'s from the PolicyNum field I'll essentially create duplicates on the PK. So in order to remove them, don't I need first to create a different PK and FK (so that I'll be able to remove the /'s and than retrieve the duplicates from both tables with a select query?)

June7 is online now VIP
    If these two policy numbers are really for the same policy and you want to use the number without /'s, must first fix the dependent records so they will correctly associate with the proper parent record when updating for the new PK.

As an alternative method - remove the PK assignment from the policy number field, make sure Cascade Update is set in Relationships builder. Edit the PK value in parent table and this edit will 'cascade' to the dependent records. Now delete the undesirable 'duplicate' parent record. Run UPDATE for new PK.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yes! that actually makes sense to me! I'll try it and post my results.
    Thank you!

I would ensure the "child" records are in fact, related to the 'duplicate' policy number by checking both sets to see if they're the same. If there are none, you should be OK. If you haven't been told yet, make sure you backup the db before making such changes. If you really understand the db design, you might be OK with just backing up db objects (tables/forms etc), but in order to not be surprised by things like cascade deletes/updates, you might want to back up the db before making major changes.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    None of this will actually prevent the distortion of policy numbers. Policy numbers are not really 'numbers' - they would not normally be used in arithmetic operations - they are identifiers. Identifiers really should be text but as text they are subject to the distortion you experienced. Input Masks can help prevent this. Considering how many digits in your policy numbers, think will have to be text field.

Even if not the PK, should probably set the policy number field as unique index so duplicates cannot be entered into the parent table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.