Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oppogo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Question Need help creating simple Patient/Doctor database.

Hello! I am fairly new to access but for an assignment i wanted to create a patients/doctors database which would allow for the patient to enter his details in form, enter his illness and be assigned a doctor whose specialization covers that illness. I made the basic Doctors table and Patients table. I also made a table which has 2 tabs - illnesses and corresponding responsible doctors ID (is that how i should do it?

How can i make a form like described, which would assign a doctor based on illness?
    How would i make a query to see which patients are assigned to a single doctor?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't really know this program well enough to do this on my own and i hope you guys can help. Thanks!

Also, if it's not too much to ask, if you could attach a sample or template for me to study it would be appreciated.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Have you looked at any of the free Access Templates? http://access-templates.com/access+2010.html

Oppogo is offline Novice
    These templates seem way too complicated for what i want to do, all i need is bare-bones table that gets the job done, i did study these templates but i am way over my head there, i do not have the knowledge to reverse engineer parts of those, neither i would know how to really.

Okay, just thought I'd ask. If they're close it could save a lot of work and debugging.

Oppogo is offline Novice
    I can't say any of them are really close, i'm not from US or UK so i don't really know what to look for well enough. I went over buyer/seller databases as i thought i could apply those but due to my limited knowledge im not really sure how to. They don't work the way i want my database to. I hope it's clear on what i described i would like it to function like.

Welcome to the site! It looks like you are from Latvia, right?

Oppogo is offline Novice
    Yes I am! I'm sorry if I come across as needy, I just know that I can't accomplish this on my own, I did some reading about junction tables and relations, however when I try to apply them I just get a giant mess.

Needy is okay, it is just that these forums are usually to assist people through a tough spot. I re-read your 1st post and not sure where your system will be running. Will the patient be filling out the form? How do you get them to "speak" medicine language? It may require a number of Drop Down boxes.

Oppogo is offline Novice
    Since it's just a basic idea i was thinking that patient fills it in. Not much medical language, something simple as for example sore throat/severe headache would send the patient to the family doctor, aching tooth/routine dental checkup would send him to a dentist and so on. Like a patient would choose from a drop down box an illness/problem as mentioned, those problems would each be tied to a different doctor.
    Edit: and then i could be able to see for example, looking at 1 doctor, all his patients.

In order to make ComboBoxes work to select an ailment, you are probably going to want a table of ailments. In that table you will need another field of the doctors that can deal with that ailment.

Oppogo is offline Novice
    Yes, i did that before, If i post some screenshots once i redo my tables, could you guys please help me with relations? Hopefully i don't screw something up.

Relations are pretty easy and quite natural. Just be sure each table has an AutoNumber as the Primary Key.

Oppogo is offline Novice
    I think i finnally somewhat achieved somewhat working database. I can now see which patients are under which doctors under certain illness.
    I can also see patients under illnesses table. Queries to see all patients assigned to all doctors also work, but can i only choose which doctor to display?
    Is this relationship normal? Can I add/remove something to make it better?
    Also, if i want to allow multiple illnesses to same patient, some sort of error pops up needing me to insert some illness value which later changes all numbers (illnesses) to that value, i'm confused as how to fix tha

WHERE [Doctor] = "Dr. Joe"
    It looks like you are getting there.

Oppogo is offline Novice
    I'm sorry but where should I enter this? I tried under criteria for query in queries design view but nothing pops up even though it should?

Edit: Scratch that, entering only the name under criteria works well.

About the multiple illnesses to a single patient, what's that error about if you have any idea? It requires me to enter some values and therefore changes the entire dropdown box.

Retried with multiple illnesses again, the relationship doesnt work then, even when patients are assigned multiple illnesses i can't see them being assigned to doctors which is weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.