Charles CL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Question Auto matching and filling of information from form to report

Hi everyone,

I'm newbie for MS Access, kindly advice me for the following highlighted statements.

Recently, I had created a format of report template and a form for key in data.

Everything that keyed into the form will stored in the table, but at the same time, i need it to be put into the report.

The following report is an example of report template retrieved from www.osc.nc.gov.

Notice that there are several fields (Date, Account, Center, Amount, DR/CR, Reversing Date, Description), which is pre-created in a blank report which act as a template.
    So now, what has been keyed in the the form will going to the report according to their pre-created field (auto detect and match).
    Perhaps, there is a drop-down list for type of pay report (e.g. PAYRPT01, PAYRPT02 ...etc), then after i selected the PAYRPT type, all information will auto goes into the report. (or perhaps a key in parameter pop-out notification that ask for the type of pay report, after key in, then the report will generated accordingly).

Another problem here is the report doesn't able to create proper table as in excel (borders do not linked to each other).
    The following table's border linked with each other (excel).

The following table in the report doesn't have border (MS Access).
    May i know how to make it same like excel? line/border should be connected.

Your Help is highly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Well, someone once told me that studies have shown that table grids actually make it harder for users to read and comprehend data.

Options are limited in Access report design. Did you try changing the textbox Border Style/Width/Color properties?

Only other approach involves use of line controls and maybe some VBA.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

kagoodwin13 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    This looks like two very different reports, with two very different sources of information. Is that correct?

For the first report, it might be helpful to think of it as three sub-reports that are layered into one large report. The large report is indented all the way to the left, and the sub-reports are indented right.

This will be tough to replicate in Access as it appears. I would recommend re-structuring the report to show the information in a different way. This report looks like it is from AS/400, which has been obsolete for at least 15-20 years. We have better, more readable, and more efficient ways of reporting data now, which Access is more compatible with.

The second report is much easier to create.

The first row of the Excel report are headers in merged cells. You can create similar headers using labels in the Header section of the report.
    The second row and information below can be compiled in a query.
    The totals at the bottom can be added (and Access will likely automatically add them) to the Footer section of the report.

Charles CL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    It is just an example, no relate for those table.
    My problem is just to make table in the report of microsoft access looked the same like the table in microsoft excel.

I found the solution already,
    just draw the line and connect it together.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

kagoodwin13 and June7

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.