muk5063 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Making check box value dependant on matching record in anothe table

I have a database with multiple tables and their forms. Each table/form collects/stores data concerning services provided by the organisation. Every form has a check box. The true/false value of this check box is stored in it's specific field on the table. I would like the box to be checked before the record can be accepted - I have managed to do this. However, I also want that the box can only be checked if a record with the same 'CaseNumber' is found in 'PaymentTable'.

So, in other words, when the check box is clicked, the 'PaymentTable' Form opens, in which I would enter the details of payment specific to the ('CaseNumber') at hand. - I can also do this.

I am stuck on the following "validation" (if it is correct to term it as validation).
    I would like the form or the check box to make sure a record with the same 'CaseNumber' is found in 'PaymentTable' for it to have a 'true' value. I would have thought this check would have to take place each time the record is viewed on the form.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I use Yes/No fields in tables to indicate the various stages of an operation or a process. For example, a Yes/No field would indicate if a specific record and its related records are ready to be passed from Operations to the Front office or the Front Office to the Back Office.

To do this, I will not, typically, show the value of this field to the user or allow the user to interact with it via a control. Instead, I will use an event to trigger some VBA that updates the appropriate field. So, the trick here is finding the correct event. Maybe the user clicks a command button, updates a textbox control, or updates a combo box.

Another option for an event is a form's Before Update event. Data validation is often done in a form's Before Update event.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.