Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mgrlvr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access shuts down when exporting to text file

Hi! I hope someone can help me. When I try to export a query and use advance Access will shut down. I can go to next and I'm okay. I need to change the delimiter symbol for the application I'm using.

I restored back to an earlier date and that didn't help. Perhaps I need to go back further.

Any idea what I can do to correct this issue? What additional info do I need to provide.

Thanks,

Pat

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    How big is your database?
    How big is your query?

Have you tried compacting and repairing the database?
    If the database is corrupt, try opening up a new blank database and importing all your object from your old database into this new one, and try from there.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    What are you trying to Export? Are you trying to export data or are you trying to export a Query Object?

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    I'm trying to export data.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    When you choose the delimiter are you also choosing the qualifier? Perhaps there is a conflict with the delimiter you are choosing and the default qualifier. I would look at the qualifier to see if it is the same character you are choosing as a delimiter. Anyway, you want to match the qualifier for your other app.

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    The database is 3,500 KB. I'm sure about the query. I tried compacting and repairing the database with no success. I tried opening on another Win 7 machine and I received the same error. I tried a back-up database file on my computer and received the same error. Could it be Access and could two copies one on my machine and one on another machine went bad at the same time? Could have machines have received a bad install or Windows update?

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    When I go to advance to put in a custom delimiter that is when Access shuts down and restarts.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I would create a new blank DB and put some test data in it. Then I would see if I could reproduce the symptom using the new Access file. It is possible there is an issue with the operating system, Office Install, and or Access install. It is hard to say.

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    Thanks so much for helping me. I appreciate it. I tried another database and followed the same steps I normally do. I received the same error message. I also ran a repair on Office. There have been a lot of MS updates recently. Maybe I should try going back as far as I can on a restore. I'm at loss as to what to do. I'm not that savvy with Access.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Using a restore point for Windows might be an option. Because there are so many possibilities as to the cause, it is hard to say what the best approach would be. I usually try to avoid running 'repair' for an application. Uninstalling Access or Office to then reinstall may be an option.

One last thing worth checking would be to make sure your Access file and any locations that you are exporting to are within 'Trusted Locations'. Maybe make sure the folder you want to export to is added to Trusted Locations. Within Access Options > Trusted Locations and then click 'Trust Center Settings'.

There may be an issue with your Access Wizard. Maybe a missing or corrupt file that is part of the Access application. While you are in Trusted locations, you might want to double check that you have a similar path to the following listed ...
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ACCWIZ\

How, exactly, are you exporting your query? What format are you exporting to? I don't have access to version 2010 right now so I can't see an 'Advance' option or a Next option using any of the Wizards.

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    In Trust Center I can see the path for the (Access default location: Wizard Databases as you have it.

I don't see where to check for the folder I'm exporting is a trusted location. Also I don't see where to find the Access file I'm using are with in "Trusted Locations." Where would I find that? I added the folder that I export the files. I checked the sub folders.

I'm using the wizard to export a query to a .csv file.

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    My last export, and that worked, was on 11-7. I uploaded that file to the website at that time. There are restore points on 11-2 and 11-9. Do you think going back to the 11-2 restore point would fix the issue if it's with Access?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Do you think going back to the 11-2 restore point would fix the issue if it's with Access?
    It is likely to. That is not a very long time ago. Why do you have a restore point there? Have you been installing applications or doing something else?

If you are referring to reversing an update received on 11-2, I doubt that will help.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrlvr View Post
    ...I don't see where to check for the folder I'm exporting is a trusted location...
    You would Add a Trusted Location. When you add a location, you will browse to that folder.

When you open an Access file, you will have to accept the risk and click 'Enable Editing. In addition, you can add the folder that contains the Access file to "Trusted Locations"

mgrlvr is offline Novice
    Here's an update. I'm able to export on my Win 7 laptop. No recent system updates. I restored my wife's computer to an 10-30 restore point and now I can export on her computer. I could not before. I restored my computer to an 11-2 restore point and I'm still unable to export. I tried the same file on a thumb drive that I used on the laptop and my wife's computer. It almost has to be Access on my computer or ? I have not installed anything lately. There have been several MS Win 7 updates. Any thoughts? In case you would like to know the application. I upload the query to the National Carousel Association' website for our operating census of carousels in North America. The census can be found here. http://carousels.org/NCAcensus.html I'm the NCA Census Chairman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.