Eoluke is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Auto number field

Hello, I am in the process of designing and inventory control database. I would like to have an auto number field that either will increment or randomly choose numbers. The problem I am having is I want the numbers to be 6 or more digits. Also, this field will not be a primary field. i am using a product ID for primary. Thanks in advance.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Seems a strange requirement but just set the field type to be autonumber but not the primary key. Why 6 digits? you could just format the field/control to 000000 which will show 1 as 000001

If not then once you have your table design you can run this code before entering any records - change mytable and id to the name of your table and field

ALTER TABLE myTable ALTER COLUMN [id] COUNTER (100000,1)

Note that autonumber only guarantees to be unique and incremental, you cannot rely on it to be consecutive - e.g. if you start to enter a record then cancel, the autonumber is not reused

the alternative is to use what is often called dmax+1 - google it to find out more.

Ensure that your product ID cannot be changed once entered (if you have a typo - tough) otherwise links to other tables will be broken

You would be better to have the autonumber as your primary key and productID is then free to be corrected if necessary

Eoluke is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Yes it is a strange requirement. I will be using this field to assign barcodes to be read with a handheld reader. Also the data is already inserted, I am adding the field to the records. Is this even possible?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    only by creating a new table - running the query as suggested, then copy all the data across from the old table

you might be better with dmax+1 so you can populate existing records (autonumbers are not editable)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.