DebbieAnne is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

MS Access 2010 query that accepts multiple inputs

Good day,

This query works in MS Access 2010 but I as the programmer have to access the SQL statement through View->SQL View and run it.

UPDATE tblstubentry SET tblstubentry.RetRecd = Yes
    WHERE tblstubentry.LICNUM IN (1001,20451,874)

I would like to change it so the user can enter the inputs instead of me. I've tried the following but it doesn't work:
    UPDATE tblstubentry SET tblstubentry.RetRecd = Yes
    WHERE tblstubentry.LICNUM IN ([Enter license numbers:])

This query doesn't recognize a list passed into it in this format: 1001,20451,874

Is there a way to do this in MS Access 2010?

Thanks

JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    have you tried enclosing with quotes. It's probably not liking the commas.

Hi James,
    Thanks for your reply. I tried the quotes. That didn't work either. I've read everything I can find on the Internet. Now I'm trying to have the user enter the numbers in a text box on a form and pass this to the query...but still no joy. I can't figure out how to pass in a list of values to a query parameter.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    have you tried enclosing with quotes. It's probably not liking the commas.
    Enclosing in quotes probably wouldn't work if the LICNUM field is not a Text data type. Numeric values do not like quotes around them.

Now I'm trying to have the user enter the numbers in a text box on a form and pass this to the query...but still no joy. I can't figure out how to pass in a list of values to a query parameter.
    You are sort of on the right track. Instead of trying to pass the parameters to the query, use the text box entry to actually build the SQL string, and assign the SQL string to your query.

I have helped people do that in the past. If you like, I can probably dig up some old posts where I showed people how to do that.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Here is a link where I showed someone how to do that: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/microso...ml#post3099809
    In the last step, you can open any object you want. I showed how to open a Form based on the Query, but you can open the Query itself or a Report based on the Query.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I would suggest you work from a Form.
    A listbox with LICNUMs that could be updated (and probably those that currently have retrecd = NO)

Have the user select the LICNUM to Update, then click a Button, and execute the SQL behind the button click event.

I mocked up your set up
    Code:
    Private Sub btnUPDATE_Click()
       On Error GoTo btnUPDATE_Click_Error

Dim item As Variant
        Dim USql As String
        Dim MyList As String

'are there any selected items if not send a message, if yes then process the list
        If Me.ListLICNUM.ItemsSelected.Count > 0 Then
            For item = 0 To Me.ListLICNUM.ItemsSelected.Count - 1
                MyList = MyList & Me.ListLICNUM.ItemData(item) & ","
                Debug.Print MyList
            Next item
            MyList = "(" & Mid(MyList, 1, Len(MyList) - 1) & ")"
            Debug.Print "revised mylist    " & MyList
        Else
            MsgBox "You must select an Item to Delete"  'Update/Edit/Delete  as required
        End If
        DSql = "UPDATE tblStubEntry  SET RetRecd = Yes " _
               & " WHERE tblstubentry.LICNUM IN " & MyList
        Debug.Print DSql
        CurrentDb.Execute DSql, dbFailOnError
    Exit_btnuPDATE_Click:
        Exit Sub

On Error GoTo 0
       Exit Sub

btnUPDATE_Click_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure btnUPDATE_Click of VBA Document Form_Form18"

End Sub
    Good luck. There are some debugging statements in the event code.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It would be great if I could do this but I don't know what the license numbers are going to be and they come in by the hundreds. :-( It's too bad Microsoft doesn't have a means of doing this. I guess I will continue to keep updating them via going into the database and entering the list myself in the SQL. It would have been better if I could have the user do this though.

Hi Joe,

I read your article and gave it a try. It works if I have only one entry in the textbox but not for multitple license numbers.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I would probably have a form with an unbound textbox control, command button, and a subform control. Have the user type a value and click the button. When the button is clicked, append a record to a temp table. Have the records in the temp table display in the subform. After the user is finished adding records, open a second form that is bound to a query that joins the temp table to the production table.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't know what the license numbers are going to be and they come in by the hundreds.
    There must be some process because you know which to delete when you delete them.
    What is that process? How do you decide?
    You can select record by date, age.... to restrict the size of a list, BUT you have to know the details for doing so.

Did you look at the database I sent?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The method I provided will work if done right, as you are creating exactly what you need the SQL code to look like.
    If you can do it manually in a query, then you can do it using that method also. You just need to make the SQL code look like what the manual code look like.
    I often use MsgBox commands while building my code to test it and to see what it looks like, so I can compare it to what it NEEDS to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    The method I provided will work if done right, as you are creating exactly what you need the SQL code to look like.
    If you can do it manually in a query, then you can do it using that method also. You just need to make the SQL code look like what the manual code look like.
    I often use MsgBox commands while building my code to test it and to see what it looks like, so I can compare it to what it NEEDS to look like.
    Thanks to everyone who offered help with this issue. In the end I solved it by putting the license numbers in an excel spreadsheet. I created a lookup table and imported the excel spreadsheet into the table; then I just changed my original query to use the lookup table to see what licenses had been returned.

Thanks for your help.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Message was for a different post--- my error.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.